Falcons Lose Mtn. West Finale to Boise State, 7-0
April 19, 2014
The Air Force men's tennis team closed out its 2013-14 Mtn. West slate Saturday with a 7-0 loss to 24th-ranked Boise State at the Appleton Tennis Center in Boise, Idaho. The Broncos won two of the three doubles matches and all six singles matches to improve to 24-4 overall and 5-0 in the Mountain West. Air Force, meanwhile, fell to 13-10 and 1-5.
Toby Mitchell and Nathan Sereke started things off for Boise State by defeating Air Force's No. 2 doubles team of senior Andy Jackson and sophomore Andrew Parks by the score of 8-0. However, the Falcons pulled even with a tight 8-6 victory at No. 3 when freshman Lucas Fumagalli and junior Grant Taylor defeated Garrett Patton and Aidan Reid, 8-6.
Sereke was off the court first at No. 2 singles with a 6-0, 6-2 win over McCullers. That was followed minutes later by Bettles, who downed Jackson 6-1, 6-0 at No. 1. Mitchell clinched the team victory with 6-1, 6-1 victory over Fumagalli at No. 5 singles.
The Falcons close the regular season on Sunday, April 20 against San Francisco in Boise.
1. #82 Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Andy Jackson, 6-1, 6-0
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Jack McCullers, 6-0, 6-2
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Steven Young, 6-4, 6-3
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Alex Grubbs, 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Lucas Fumagalli, 6-1, 6-1
6. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Ali Rizvi, 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 5, 3, 4, 6