April 18, 2013
The Air Force men’s tennis team snapped a four-match losing streak Thursday afternoon with a 4-0 victory over Utah State at the Academy. The Falcons evened their overall record at 11-11, while the Aggies fell to 7-13.
Air Force jumped out to a 1-0 lead by sweeping the three doubles matches. AFA’s No. 2 team of against junior Alex Grubbs and freshman Jack McCullers started it off with an 8-4 win over Marcus Fritz and Andrew Whiting. Juniors Steven Young and Andy Jackson clinched the point with an 8-3 win over Curren Wearmouth and Fredrik Peterson at the No. 2 spot. Senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor wrapped things up with an 8-7(3) triumph over Sven Posulsny and Matt Sweet at the top spot.
Grubbs made it 1-0 with a decisive 6-2, 6-1 win over Wearmouth at No. 4, followed by Taylor beating Sweet, 7-6, 6-2 at No. 3. Wilhelm finished it off with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Poslusny at the No. 1 spot. The other two matches were then pulled off the court and the No. 6 match did not begin.
The Falcons host New Mexico in the regular-season finale on Sunday, April 21 at 12 p.m.
Air Force 4, Utah State 0
April 18, 2013
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Poslusny / Sweet, 8-7(3)
2. Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Fritz / Andrew Whiting, 8-4
3. Young / Jackson (AF) def. Wearmouth / Peterson, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. #97 Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Sven Poslusny, 6-3, 6-4
2. Steven Young (AF) vs. Fredrik Peterson, 7-6, 1-1, DNF
3. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Matt Sweet, 7-6, 6-2
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Curran Wearmouth, 6-2, 6-1
5. Andy Jackson (AF) vs. Marcus Fritz, 1-3, DNF
6. Did Not Start
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3