U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. - Air Force came up short against Utah State on Senior Day, 4-2, Sunday afternoon, at the Outdoor Tennis Courts of Cadet Gymnasium. The Falcons drop to 11-13 overall with a 1-5 mark in league action. Utah State became defending Mountain West champs with the win. The Aggies claim the regular season title, going 7-0 in conference play.
The Falcons got off to a strong start in doubles, winning positions one and three to secure the match point. Isaac Perez and Patrick Sklenka recorded their fifth doubles win of the season at No. 1, defeating Barajas and Carvajal, 6-3. Paul Hendrix and Jamie Bautista added their second win of the weekend, ninth of the season at No. 3, beating Acosta and Vashistha, 6-4. The match at the No. 2 position did not finish. The Falcons won the doubles point for the third time in conference action while recording their 16th doubles point of the season; nine more than last season’s seven doubles points.
The Aggies found their rhythm in the singles portion, winning three-straight matches at positions one, six and five to take a 3-1 team lead. Hendrix, who was perfect on the weekend with a pair of wins in both doubles and singles, notched the Falcons’ second team point with a straight-set win over Valdemar Holm, 7-6, 6-3. Hendrix now has 16 singles wins and 12 doubles wins, leading the team.
Utah State secured the match point in the ensuing match at the No. 2 position.
Senior team captain Max Olson was honored at the home finale. The Edina, Minnesota, native competed in 71 career dual matches for the Falcons.
Air Force will travel to Albuquerque, New Mexico, to take on the Lobos of New Mexico in the regular-season finale, Sat., Apr. 21, at 3 p.m. (MT)
AIR FORCE vs. UTAH STATE, Apr. 15
1. Perez/Sklenka (AF) def. Barajas/Carvajal (USU) -6-3
2. Collins/Sanderson (AF) DNF Holm/Nakajima (USU) -2-4 DNF
3. Hendrix/Bautista (AF) def. Acosta/Vashistha -6-4
1. Jaime Barajas (USU) def. Patrick Sklenka (AF) -6-1, 6-4
2. Sergiu Bucur (USU) def. Luke Sanderson (AF) -6-4, 6-4
3. Isaac Perez (AF) DNF Samuel Serrano (USU) -6-7, 6-2, 2-1 DNF
4. Paul Hendrix (AF) def. Valdemar Holm (USU) -7-6, 6-3
5. Felipe Acosta (USU) def. Sean McKendree (AF) -6-2, 7-6
6. Addy Vashistha (USU) def. Tadhg Collins (AF) 6-3, 7-6
FINAL: UTAH STATE 4, AIR FORCE 2
ORDER OF FINISH
Singles: 1,6,5,4,2*; Doubles: 1,3*