April 14, 2013
The Air Force men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to Mountain West newcomer Nevada Sunday in Reno, Nev. The Wolf Pack improved to 9-10 overall and 1-3 in the MW, while Air Force fell to 10-11 and 0-5 in league play.
Nevada jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning two of three doubles matches. Air Force’s No. 1 team of senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor downed Moez Echargi and Quentin Mege, 8-5, to improve to 3-2 in conference play. Andrew Poustie and Fernando Sunago posted a victory against junior Alex Grubbs and freshman Jack McCullers, 8-6, at No. 2, and Robert Allan and Ryan Andrada got past juniors Andy Jackson and Ali Rizvi, also by a score of 8-6, to give Nevada the point.
Nevada’s first singles victory came from co-captain Victor Ouvrard, as he rolled past Taylor in straight sets at No. 3, 6-2, 6-4. Poustie won at No. 5, defeating Jackson, 6-1, 6-4, while Mege downed junior Steven Young 6-4, 6-3, at No. 2. The final victory for Nevada came from Allan, as he pulled out the three set thriller over freshman Andrew Parks 6-4, 3-6, 7-5.
Wilhelm and Grubbs posted singles wins for Air Force. Wilhelm, ranked 86th in the country, defeated Echargui, 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 1 spot, while Grubbs beat Sunago, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 4.
The Falcons host Utah State on Thursday, April 18 at 1 p.m., and New Mexico in the regular season final on Sunday, April 21 at 12 p.m.
Nevada 5, Air Force 2
April 14, 2013
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Echargui / Mege, 8-5
2. Sunago / Poustie (NEV) def. Grubbs / Jack McCullers, 8-6
3. Allan / Ryan Andrada (NEV) def. Jackson / Ali Rizvi, 8-6
1. #86 Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Moez Echargui, 6-4, 7-5
2. Quentin Mege (NEV) def. Steven Young, 6-4, 6-3
3. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Grant Taylor, 6-2, 6-4
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Fernando Sunago, 6-3, 6-4
5. Andrew Poustie (NEV) def. Andy Jackson, 6-1, 6-4
6. Robert Allan (NEV) def. Andrew Parks, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5