Falcons Drop 5-2 Decision to Utah
April 3, 2010
The Air Force men’s tennis team lost a 5-2 decision to the University of Utah Saturday at the Academy. Senior Austin Francis and junior Taylor Soster each posted his first career Mountain West Conference singles victory for Air Force, winning the No. 2 and 3 match, respectively. With the victory, Utah improved to 6-11 overall and 1-1 in the MWC, while the Falcons fell to 10-7 and 0-2.
The Utes jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by winning at No. 1 and 3 doubles. Francis and freshman Lance Wilhelm won the No. 2 match for Air Force, defeating Jason Smits and Timmy Allin, 8-6. At the top doubles spot, Philip Eilers and Alex Golding posted an 8-5 triumph over Brett Rodgers and Taylor Soster, while Benito Suriano and Stephen Jacobs won 8-4 over Alex Beaussart and Sam Barnes at No. 3.
In singles play, Francis claimed his first MWC win in 18 matches with an exciting 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 triumph over Smits at No. 2. Soster had captured his initial league win earlier by defeating Suriano, 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 3 spot. It marked the first time Air Force won at least two singles matches against a league opponent since April 7, 2006, when Shannon Buck and Ryan White each won against BYU.
The Utes won the other four singles matches in straight sets, including a 6-3, 6-2 victory by Eilers over Wilhelm at the No. 1 spot, just the second time Wilhelm (13-4) lost in straight sets this spring. Golding took the No. 4 match, 6-1, 6-1 over Rodgers, while Allin defeated Vinni Lodolo, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 and Jacobs downed Beaussart, 7-5, 6-1 at No. 6.
Air Force returns to action on Friday, April 9 against San Diego State in san Diego, Calif . The match is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.
Utah 5, Air Force 2
1. Philip Eilers (UU) def. Lance Wilhelm, 6-3, 6-2
2. Austin Francis (AF) def. Jason Smits, 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
3. Taylor Soster (AF) def. Benito Suriano, 6-4, 7-5
4. Alex Golding (UU) def. Brett Rodgers, 6-1, 6-1
5. Timmy Allin (UU) def. Vinni Lodolo, 6-3, 6-1
6. Stephen Jacobs (UU) def. Alex Beaussart, 7-5, 6-1
1. Eilers / Golding (UU) def. Rodgers / Soster, 8-5
2. Francis / Wilhelm (AF) def. Smits / Allin, 8-6
3. Suriano / Jacobs (UU) def. Beaussart / Sam Barnes, 8-4