Falcons Lose to Illinois State, 6-1
March 28, 2010
The Air Force men’s tennis team lost its second consecutive match Sunday afternoon, dropping a 6-1 decision to Illinois State at the Academy. The Falcons fell to 10-4 this season, while Illinois State improved to 9-7.
The Falcons began the day by winning the doubles point with victories at the Nos. 1 and 2 spots. Senior Brett Rodgers and junior Taylor Soster won at the top spot, 8-1, over Timon Reichelt and Matej Zlatkovic, while senior Austin Francis and freshman Lance Wilhelm won at No. 2, 8-3, over Filip Miljevic and Skip Span. AFA’s No. 3 team of junior Alex Beaussart and freshman Sam Barnes lost in a tiebreaker, 8-7(1) to Alexander Palaez and Michael Hobson.
Unfortunately for the Falcons, they could not keep the momentum to the singles matches, as the Redbirds won all six contests, five of them in straight sets. The best match was at the No. 5 position, where Xavier Riart-Ferrer went the distance to defeat Falcon freshman Vinni Lodolo, 2-6, 7-5, (10-8).
Air Force returns to action on Monday, March 29 against the University of the Pacific at the Academy. The match is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.
Illinois State 6, Air Force 1
1. Alexander Pelaez (ISU) def. Lance Wilhelm, 7-5, 6-2
2. Timon Reichelt (ISU) def. Austin Francis, 6-1, 6-1
3. Filip Miljevic (ISU) def. Taylor Soster, 6-4, 6-2
4. Matej Zlatkovic (ISU) def. Brett Rodgers, 6-4, 6-4
5. Xavier Riart-Ferrer (ISU) def. Vinni Lodolo, 2-6, 7-5, 10-8
6. Micah LeMoine (ISU) def. Alex Beaussart, 6-4, 7-5
1. Rodgers / Soster (AF) def. Reichelt / Zlatkovic, 8-1
2. Francis / Wilhelm (AF) def. Miljevic / Skip Span, 8-3
3. Pelaez / Michael Hobson (ISU) def. Beaussart / Sam Barnes, 8-7 (1)