March 28, 2008
Despite winning the No. 1 doubles match, the Air Force men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to UNLV Friday in Las Vegas, Nev. Sophomore Brett Rodgers and freshman Taylor Soster defeated Elliott Wronski and Bryan Miller, 8-7 (7-4) at the top doubles spot. Air Force fell to 10-10 overall and 0-2 in the Mountain West Conference while UNLV improved to 8-8 overall and 1-1 in league play.
Unfortunately for the Falcons, UNLV captured the other two doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. Luca Barlocchi and David Campbell won the No. 2 match, 8-2, over AFA sophomore Austin Francis and freshman Alex Beaussart, while Wesley Burrows and Matthew Kunkel defeated sophomore Mike Gies and Johnny Buckingham by the same score at the No. 3 spot.
The Rebels cruised through singles action, winning all six matches in straight sets. Burrows led things off with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Francis at the No. 2 position, the Rony Yeghnazary defeated Buckingham, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 4. Andrew Giuffrida clinched the team match for UNLV with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Gies at the No. 6 spot.
UNLV won the other three singles matches in straight sets.
The Falcons take on BYU on Saturday, March 29 at 10 a.m. (PT).
UNLV 7, Air Force 0
Friday, March 28, 2008
Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas, Nev.
1. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Brett Rodgers (AFA) 6-3, 6-0
2. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) def. Austin Francis (AFA) 6-2, 6-1
3. David Campbell (UNLV) def. Taylor Soster (AFA) 6-4, 6-2
4. Rony Yeghnazary (UNLV) def. Johnny Buckingham (AFA) 6-1, 6-0
5. Bryan Miller (UNLV) def. Alex Beaussart (AFA) 6-3, 6-4
*6. Andrew Giuffrida (UNLV) def. Mike Gies (AFA) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2,4,*6,1,5,3
1. Rodgers/Soster (AFA) def. Wronski/Miller (UNLV) 8-7 (4)
*2. Barlocchi/Campbell (UNLV) def. Francis/Beaussart (AFA) 8-2
3. Burrows/Matthew Kunkel (UNLV) def. Gies/Buckingham (AFA) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,*2,1