March 21, 2014
The Air Force men's tennis team dropped its second consecutive match, falling to Northern Arizona 4-3 Friday in Las Vegas, Nev. With the victory, NAU improved to 7-6, while the Falcons fell to 12-4.
Air Force jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning the top two doubles matches. Senior Andy Jackson and sophomore Andrew Parks got things roiling with an 8-0 victory at the No. 2 position over Alex Locci and Jordan Gobatie. Senior Alex Grubbs and sophomore Jack McCullers followed suit with an 8-1 triumph over Fabio Tomasetti and Kester Black at the top spot. The No. 3 match was then pulled off the court with Air Force leading 7-2.
The singles action was a different matter, however, as NAU won four of the matches. Tomasetti evened the match at 1-all with a 6-2, 6-2 win over McCullers at No. 3, but Parks put the Falcons back up by capturing the No. 6 match, 6-0, 6-4 over Blaine Mengert.
The Lumberjacks took the team match by winning the next three matches off the court. Black snapped Grubbs' nine-match winning streak with a 6-0, 7-6(5) triumph at No. 4, followed by Unger beating AFA freshman Lucas Fumagalli, 7-6(11), 6-3 at No. 5. Locci clinched it for NAU with an exciting 7-5, 6-7(6), 6-3 over Jackson at No. 2. AFA senior Steven Young rallied to win the No. 1 match 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 over Gobatie.
The Falcons return to action on Sunday, March 23 with its second Mountain West match of the season against UNLV beginning at 11 a.m. (PT).
Northern Arizona 4, Air Force 3
Friday, March 21
Las Vegas, Nev.
1. Alex Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Fabio Tomasetti / Kester Black, 8-1
2. Andy Jackson / Andrew Parks (AF) def. Alex Locci / Jordan Gobatie, 8-0
3. Grant Taylor / Lucas Fumagalli (AF) vs. Trebor Unger / Blaine Mengert, 7-2 DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Steven Young (AF) def. Jordan Gobatie, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Alex Locci (NAU) def. Andy Jackson, 7-5, 6-7(6), 6-3
3. Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Jack McCullers, 6-2, 6-2
4. Kester Black (NAU) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-0, 7-6(5)
5. Trevor Unger (NAU) def. Lucas Fumagalli, 7-6(11), 6-3
6. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Blaine Mengert, 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 4, 5, 2, 1