March 14, 2014
The Air Force men’s tennis team extended its season-high winning streak to six matches Friday with a 5-2 victory over UMKC in Wichita, Kan. With the win, Air Force improved to 12-2 and reached the 12-win mark for the first time since the 2006 season. UMKC, meanwhile, fell to 3-13.
The Falcons, off to their best start since opening 13-1 in 2003, had to rally after losing the doubles point for just the third time this season. Senior Alex Grubbs and sophomore Jack McCullers played just their second match of the spring at the No. 1 doubles position and defeated Tomas Patino and Mike Psarros, 8-6, to improve to 11-2 overall and 2-0 at the top spot. UMKC won at the other two positions to take a 1-0 lead.
Air Force roared back to win five of the six singles matches, all of the victories coming in straight sets. McCullers started things off with a 6-4, 6-2, victory over Psarros at No. 3, followed by Grubbs beating Vinh Pham, 6-0, 6-4 at No. 4. Grubbs improved to 10-1 at the No. 4 spot with the win. Sophomore Andrew Parks gave Air Force a 3-1 lead by defeating Conner Edwards, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 6 and freshman Lucas Fumagalli improved to 7-0 in dual match play and clinched the team match with a 6-1, 6-4 triumph over Uldis Gaismins at No. 5. Senior Steven Young won the No. 2 match, 6-4, 7-6(4) over Andrey Smirnov.
"We played a very solid match today once we got into singles,” said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. “I was happy to see our guys come out so strong after losing the doubles point."
The Falcons play 69th-ranked Wichita State on Saturday, March 15 beginning at noon (CT).
Air Force 5, UMKC 2
Friday, March 14, 2014
1. Alex Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Tomas Patino / Mike Psarros, 8-6
2. Conner Edwards / Vinh Pham (UMKC) def. Andy Jackson / Steven Young, 8-2
3. Andrey Smirnov / Uldis Gaismins (UMKC) def. Grant Taylor / Lucas Fumagalli, 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Patino (UMKC) def. Jackson, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
2. Young (AF) def. Smirnov, 6-4, 7-6(4)
3. McCullers (AF) def. Psarros, 6-4, 6-2
4. Grubbs (AF) def. Pham, 6-0, 6-4
5. Fumagalli (AF) def. Gaismins, 6-1, 6-4
6. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Edwards 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 6, 5, 1, 2