PALO ALTO, Calif. -- Air Force came up short against service academy rivals Army West Point, 4-1, in a non-conference match up, Saturday afternoon, at the Taube Family Tennis Center of Stanford University. The Falcons’ overall record drops to 9-6.
Freshman Paul Hendrix had the upper hand over the rival Black Knights, winning both of his matches on the day. Hendrix and teammate Jamie Bautista won the first match of the dual with a 7-5 victory over Mitchell/Patterson in the No. 3 position. West Point went on to secure the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2.
In singles action, Hendrix was first to finish again, defeating Dylan Simonsen, 6-1, 6-2, in the fifth position. Three-straight Army singles wins at positions one, two and three clinched the match for the Black Knights, leaving incomplete matches at No. 4 and No. 6
The Falcons continue action tomorrow against third-ranked Stanford, at the Taube Family Tennis Center of Stanford University, at 11 a.m. (PT). The dual marks the first meeting between the teams.
AIR FORCE vs. ARMY WEST POINT, Mar. 10
- Nguyen/Shannon (ARMY) def. Perez/Sklenka (AF) - 7-6 (2)
- Conlin/Simonsen (ARMY) def. Collins/Galvin (AF) - 7-6 (6)
- Hendrix/Bautista (AF) def. Mitchell/Patterson (ARMY) - 7-5
- Michael Nguyen (ARMY) def. Patrick Sklenka (AF) - 6-2, 6-2
- Gregory Shannon (ARMY) def. Isaac Perez (AF) - 6-3, 7-5
- Myles Conlin (ARMY) def. Luke Sanderson (AF) - 6-4, 6-1
- David Mitchell (ARMY) vs. Mack Galvin (AF) - DNF 2-6, 6-3, 2-0
- Paul Hendrix (AF) def. Dylan Simonsen - 6-1, 6-2
- Anant Mundra (ARMY) vs. Sean McKendree (AF) - DNF 6-7, 5-2
FINAL: ARMY 4, AIR FORCE 1