March 2, 2014
The Air Force men’s tennis team completed a sweep of service-academy rivals this weekend with a 4-2 victory over Army Sunday in Charleston, S.C. The Falcons, who defeated The Citadel 7-0 on Saturday, improved to 9-2 this season while the Black Knights fell to 7-2.
The Falcons took a 1-0 lead with wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles spots. Senior Alex Grubbs and sophomore Jack McCullers opened with an 8-4 victory over Kyle Barnes and Austin McCasin at the No. 2 spot. After Army won the No. 1 match, junior Grant Taylor and freshman Lucas Fumagalli clinched the point with an 8-6 victory over Henry Jang-Milsten and Peter Sienko at No. 3.
Fumagalli (No. 5) and McCullers (No. 3) gave Air Force a 3-0 lead with straight-set victories, but Army battled back to win the top two matches at cut the lead to 3-2. Grubbs then clinched the match by rallying for a 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Alex Van Velzer at the No. 4 spot. Sophomore Andrew Parks was ahead 2-1 in the third set at the No. 6 spot when play was halted.
"This was a great weekend for our team and it's exciting to see the results of their hard work," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous.
The Falcons host two matches on Saturday, March 8 against Weber State (9 a.m.) and CSU-Pueblo (2 p.m.).
Air Force 4, Army 2
Sunday, March 2, 2014
1. Grant Reichmann / Harrison McCormick (ARMY) def. Andy Jackson / Steven Young, 8-4
2. Alex Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Kyle Barnes / Austin McCasin, 8-4
3. Grant Taylor / Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Henry Jang-Milsten / Peter Sienko, 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Asika Isoh (ARMY) def. Andy Jackson, 6-2, 7-6(5)
2. Sam Lampman (ARMY) def. Steven Young, 6-1, 6-1
3. Jack McCullers (AF) def. Grant Reichmann, 6-3, 6-4
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Alex Van Velzer, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Austin McCasin, 6-2, 6-2
6. Andrew Parks (AF) vs. Peter Sienko (ARMY), 1-6, 6-2, 2-1 (DNF)
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 2, 1, 4