Falcons Down Army 4-2
March 2, 2014
The Air Force men’s tennis team completed a sweep of service-academy rivals this weekend with a 4-2 victory over Army Sunday in Charleston, S.C. The Falcons, who defeated The Citadel 7-0 on Saturday, improved to 9-2 this season while the Black Knights fell to 7-2.
The Falcons took a 1-0 lead with wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles spots. Senior Alex Grubbs and sophomore Jack McCullers opened with an 8-4 victory over Kyle Barnes and Austin McCasin at the No. 2 spot. After Army won the No. 1 match, junior Grant Taylor and freshman Lucas Fumagalli clinched the point with an 8-6 victory over Henry Jang-Milsten and Peter Sienko at No. 3.
"This was a great weekend for our team and it's exciting to see the results of their hard work," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous.
The Falcons host two matches on Saturday, March 8 against Weber State (9 a.m.) and CSU-Pueblo (2 p.m.).
1. Asika Isoh (ARMY) def. Andy Jackson, 6-2, 7-6(5)
2. Sam Lampman (ARMY) def. Steven Young, 6-1, 6-1
3. Jack McCullers (AF) def. Grant Reichmann, 6-3, 6-4
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Alex Van Velzer, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Austin McCasin, 6-2, 6-2
6. Andrew Parks (AF) vs. Peter Sienko (ARMY), 1-6, 6-2, 2-1 (DNF)
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 2, 1, 4