March 1, 2014
The Air Force men's tennis team opened its service-academy weekend with a dominating 7-0 victory Saturday over The Citadel in Charleston, S.C. The Falcons, now 8-2 this season, won all six singles and two of the three doubles contests against the Bulldogs, who fell to 2-12.
After a 90-minute rain delay, the teams opened the match with singles play. The Falcons won all six matches in straight sets, including a 6-4, 6-4 victory by senior Andy Jackson over Eliot Sperr at the No. 1 spot. Fellow senior Steven Young won 6-2, 6-1 over Dillon Berkabile at the No. 2 position and sophomore Jack McCullers won the No. 3 match, 6-3, 6-2 over Peter Bleach. Junior Grant Taylor (No. 4), sophomore Andrew Parks (No. 5) and freshman Lucas Fumagalli (No.6) lost a total of eight games in their three matches.
In doubles, Taylor and Fumagalli were off the court first after an 8-3 victory over Oliver Deddling and Marvin Pagayonan. Jackson and Young dropped the No. 1 match, 8-6, to Sperr and Berkabile, but McCullers and senior Alex Grubbs clinched the point with an 8-4 triumph over Bleach and Jackson Pride at the No. 2 spot.
The Falcons play Army on Sunday, March 2 at 10 a.m. (ET).
Air Force 7, The Citadel 0
Saturday, March 1, 2014
1. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Eliot Sperr, 6-4, 6-4
2. Steven Young (AF) def. Dillon Berkabile, 6-2, 6-1
3. Jack McCullers (AF) def. Peter Bleach, 6-3, 6-2
4. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Jackson Pride, 6-3, 6-4
5. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Oliver Deddling, 6-0, 6-1
6. Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Connor Grady, 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 6, 1, 2, 4
1. Sperr / Berkabile (CIT) def. Jackson / Young, 8-6
2. Alex Grubbs / McCullers (AF) def. Pride / Bleach, 8-4
3. Taylor / Fumagalli (AF) def. Deddling / Pagayonan, 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2