Falcons Defeat Portland State, 5-2
Feb. 28, 2010
The Air Force men's tennis team avenged a loss to Portland State last season with a 5-2 victory over the Vikings Sunday afternoon at the Academy. With its fourth straight victory, Air Force improved to 5-2 this spring, while the Vikings fell to 5-6.
The Falcons, who lost to PSU, 4-3 last season, jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by sweeping the three doubles matches. Senior Brett Rodgers and junior Taylor Soster got things going with an easy, 8-2 victory over Kyle Erickson and Branislav Vanach to improve to 6-1 at the No. 1 spot. Junior Alex Beaussart and freshman Sam Barnes upped their record to 4-1 at the No. 3 position with an 8-6 win over Jeff Cero and Matt Erickson to clinch the doubles point. Senior Austin Francis and freshman Lance Wilhelm completed the sweep with a 9-7 triumph over Chis Rice and Alex Van Derschelden, 9-7, at the No. 2 spot.
Rodgers led the Falcon charge in singles play and gave AFA a 2-0 lead with a decisive, 6-1, 6-4 victory over Matt Erickson at No. 4 singles, but Kyle Erickson cut the lead in half by downing Soster at No. 3, 6-3, 7-6(5).
Wilhelm rallied at the top spot and improved to 6-1 this spring with a 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Rice and freshman Vinni Lodolo clinched the team match with a 6-4, 6-1 decision over Cero at the No. 5 position. Beaussart won the No. 6 match, defeating Valach, 6-3, 6-3.
''This was another great win for our team," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous, who posted his first victory at the Academy. "In our last two matches, we've beaten teams we lost to last year so our guys are really seeing the results of their hard work.''
The Falcons host Metro State (10 a.m.) and Colorado College (2 p.m.) next Saturday, march 6 at the Academy.
Air Force 5, Portland State 2
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Chris Rice, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Alex Van Derschelden (PSU) def. Austin Francis, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
3. Kyle Erickson (PSU) def. Taylor Soster, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Brett Rodgers (AF) def. Matt Erickson, 6-1, 6-4
5. Vinni Lodolo (AF) def. Jeff Cero, 6-4, 6-1
6. Alex Beaussart (AF) def. Branislav Valach, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 2, 5, 6
1. Rodgers / Soster (AF) def. K. Erickson / Valach, 8-2
2. Francis / Wilhelm (AF) def. Rice / Van Derschelden, 9-7
3. Beaussart / Sam Barnes (AF) def. Cero / M. Erickson, 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2