Falcons Defeat Lewis-Clark State, 6-1
Feb. 19, 2010
The Air Force men’s tennis team evened its record at 2-2 Friday with a 6-1 victory over Lewis-Clark State College in the first of three matches this weekend in Bozeman, Mont. The Falcons swept the three doubles matches, then won five of the six singles contests.
The most exciting doubles match was at the No. 1 position, where Air Force senior Brett Rodgers and junior Taylor Soster saved a match point and defeated Benjamin Robert and Ivan Krijanto, 8-7 (2). With the victory, the Falcon duo improved to 3-1 at the top spot this spring. Senior Austin Francis and freshman Lance Wilhelm won at No. 2, 8-3, while junior Alex Beaussart and freshman Sam Barnes won the No. 3 match by the same score.
In singles, Wilhelm remained perfect at 4-0 this spring with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Krijanto at the No. 1 spot. Francis saved a match point at the No. 2 position and rallied to beat Zhia Hwa Chong, 1-6, 7-6(6), 6-4. Robert posted Lewis-Clark’s lone win with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Rodgers at No. 3, but the Falcons won at the Nos. 4-6 positions, all in three sets. Freshmen Vinni Lodolo (No. 4) and Stephen Katrein (No. 6) each rallied from a set down to win his match, while Beaussart came back from 5-2 down in the third set to beat Cesar Uauy, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 at the No. 5 spot.
The Falcons play Montana-State Billings on Saturday, Feb. 20 at 1 p.m.
Air Force 6, Lewis-Clark State College 1
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Ivan Krijanto, 6-4, 6-1
2. Austin Francis (AF) def. Zhia Hwa Chong, 1-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4
3. Benjamin Robert (L-C) def. Brett Rodgers, 6-4, 6-3
4. Vinni Lodolo (AF) def. Oliver Sindayigaya, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Alex Beaussart (AF) def. Cesar Uauy, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
6. Stephen Katrein (AF) def. Victor Garcia, 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
Order of Finish: 1,3,4,2,6,5
1. Rodgers / Soster (AF) def. Robert / Krijanto, 8-7 (2)
2. Francis / Wilhelm (AF) def. Uauy / Sindayigaya, 8-3
3. Beaussart / Barnes (AF) def. Hwa Chong / Lowndes, 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1