Feb. 19, 2011
The Air Force men's tennis team dropped its second consecutive match Saturday, losing 6-1 to Marist at West Point, N.Y. The Falcons, now 4-2 this season, captured victories at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles. Marist, an NCAA Tournament team each of the past three seasons, improved to 1-0 in its first dual match of the season.
Despite winning the No. 1 doubles match, Air Force lost the doubles point as Marist won at the other two spots. Sophomore Lance Wilhelm and freshman Andy Jackson improved to 5-1 this spring with an 8-5 vicotry over Lorenzo Rossi and Rhys Hobbs. Marist then won the No. 3 match as Nicolas Pesecky and Landon Greene beat freshmen Lucas Marin-Salcedo and Danny Gies, 8-5. The Red Foxes captured the point when Joris Van Eck and Matt Himmelsbach downed senior Taylor Soster and freshman Alex Grubbs, 9-7.
In singles play, Wilhelm improved to 6-0 with a 6-1, 3-6, (103) victory over van Eck at the No. 1 spot. Marist won the other five singles matches, four of them in straight sets. The only other three-setter was at the No. 4 spot, where Himmelsbach rallied to defeat Grubbs, 3-6, 6-4, (10-4).
The Falcons will battle service-academy rival Army on Sunday, Feb. 20 in West Point. The match is schedule to begin at 1 p.m. (ET).
Marist 6, Air Force 1
Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011
West Point, NY
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Joris Van Eck, 6-1, 3-6, (10-3)
2. Lorenzo Rossi (MAR) def. Andy Jackson, 6-3, 6-1
3. Nicolas Pesecky (MAR) def. Lucas Marin-Salcedo, 6-0, 6-2
4. Matt Himmelsbach (MAR) def. Alex Grubbs, 3-6, 6-4, (10-4)
5. Landon Greene (MAR) def. Taylor Soster, 6-0, 6-3
6. Will Resnick (MAR) def. Steven Young, 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2, 5, 1, 4
1. Wilhelm / Jackson (AF) def. Rossi / Rhys Hobbs, 8-5
2. Van Eck / Himmelsbach (MAR) def. Soster / Grubbs, 9-7
3. Pesecky / Greene (MAR) def. Marin-Salcedo / Danny Gies, 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2