Feb. 16, 2013
The Air Force men's tennis team won its third straight match in dramatic fashion Saturday, defeating UMKC 4-3 at the Kansas City Country Club. With the victory, Air Force improved to 6-4 this season.
Air Force lost the doubles point to UMKC, defending champion of the Summit League, but rebounded to win four singles matches. Lance Wilhelm and Grant Taylor won the No. 1 doubles match, defeating Grant Fleming and Tomas Patino, 8-2. The Kangaroos then won the No. 2 match and clinched the point with a dramatic 8-7 win at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, Steven Young evened the match with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Danill Ivanov at the No. 4 spot, then UMKC retook the lead as Patino beat Taylor, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 2. Wilhelm, ranked 85th in the country, then downed Nino Hasandedic, 6-4, 7-6(7), to improve to 8-1 at the top spot.
Alex Grubbs won the No. 5 match, 6-4, 6-2 over Tim Akhmedov, to give the Falcons a 3-2 lead, setting up a couple of three-setters to close the match. Fleming beat Landon Kinsey, 6-7, 7-6, 6-3 to make it 3-all, then freshman Andrew Parks clinched the match for Air Force with a come from behind 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 6 over Conner Edwards.
"This was a great win for us tonight in a tough environment," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "It was a very tight match that could have gone either way. Freshman Andrew Parks came through in a ton of tough moments with the match on the line to clinch the win."
The Falcons return home to host Wichita State on Friday, Feb. 22 at 4 p.m.
Air Force 4, UMKC 3
Saturday, Feb. 16
Kansas City, Mo.
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Fleming / Patino, 8-2
2. Edwards / Akhmedov (UMKC) def. Andy Jackson / Young, 8-2
3. Hasandedic / David Heckler (UMKC) def. Parks / Grubbs, 8-7(4)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. #85 Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Nino Hasandedic, 6-4, 7-6(7)
2. Tomas Patino (UMKC) def. Grant Taylor, 6-3, 6-1
3. Grant Fleming (UMKC) def. Landon Kinsey, 6-7(5), 7-6(5), 6-3
4. Steven Young (AF) def. Daniil Ivanov, 6-3, 6-0
5. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Tim Akhmedov, 6-4, 6-2
6. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Conner Edwards, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 1, 5, 3, 6