Feb. 16, 2014
The Air Force men’s tennis team lost its first Mountain West match of the season Sunday, a 6-1 loss to New Mexico in Albuquerque, N.M. The Lobos improved to 10-3 this season while the Falcons fell to 6-2.
UNM swept the two doubles matches that finished and then won five of the six singles matches. The Lobos’ No. 3 doubles team of Rodolfo Jauregui and Mads Hegelund teamed up for a 6-2 win over Grant Taylor and Lucas Fumagalli, then Samir Iftikhar and James Hignett won the No. 2 match 6-3 over Alex Grubbs and Jack McCullers to earn the point.
The Falcons battled hard in singles, claiming one match and pushing two others to a third set. Grubbs won the No. 4 match, 6-3, 6-3 over Mitch McDaniels to improve to 9-6 overall and 6-1 at the No. 4 spot. McCullers (No. 3) and Parks (No. 6) each took his match to three sets while UNM won the other three matches in straight sets.
The Falcons play again on Saturday, Feb. 22 taking on Portland State at the Academy beginning at noon.
New Mexico 6, Air Force 1
Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014
1) Sabatka / Van Der Vyver (UNM) vs. Jackson / Young (AF), DNF
2) Hignett / Iftikhar (UNM) def. Grubbs / McCullers, 6-3
3) Hegelund / Jauregui (UNM) def. Taylor / Fumagalli, 6-2
1) Samir Iftikhar (UNM) def. Andy Jackson, 6-0, 6-2
2) Hayden Sabatka (UNM) def. Steven Young, 6-5(2), 6-2
3) Rodolfo Jauregui (UNM) def. Jack McCullers, 6-0, 2-6, 6-1
4) Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Mitch McDaniels, 6-3, 6-3
5) James Hignett (UNM) def. Grant Taylor, 6-1, 6-1
6) Mads Hegelund (UNM) def. Andrew Parks, 5-6(6), 6-3, 1-0(3)