Feb. 13, 2011
The Air Force men's tennis team lost its first match of the 2011 spring season Sunday, falling to the New Mexico State Aggies, 5-2, at the Academy. The Falcons, who won at Nos. 1 and 3 singles and No. 1 doubles, fell to 4-1 this season.
NMSU jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by winning at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles. Sophomore Lance Wilhelm and freshman Andy Jackson won the No. 1 match for Air Force, 8-5, over Jim Brouleau and Matej Stakne. The Falcon duo, ranked No. 7 in the Mountain region, is now 4-1 this spring.
In singles play, Wilhelm improved to 5-0 at the No. 1 spot with an impressive, 6-0, 6-3 victory over Arthur Surreaux, the 74th-ranked player in the country.
"Lance had a great win today," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "This was certainly the biggest win of his career."
Freshman Lucas Marin-Salcedo also posted an exciting win at the No. 3 position, defeating Stakne, 7-6, 3-6, 7-5.
"He (Marin-Salcedo) showed great heart today and took a big step by beating the ninth-ranked player in our region 7-5 in the third set," said Oosterhous. "Our guys fought extremely hard today, but came up a bit short against a very solid New Mexico State team. I'm very excited about our progress so far this spring and look forward to taking our team on the road next week against more tough competition."
The Falcons travel to West Point, N.Y., next weekend for matches against Marist on Saturday, Feb. 19 and Army on Sunday, Feb. 20. Both matches begin at 1 p.m. (ET).
New Mexico State 5, Air Force 2
Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Arthur Surreaux, 6-0, 6-3
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Andy Jackson, 6-2, 6-2
3. Lucas Marin-Salcedo (AF) def. Matej Stakne, 7-6, 3-6, 7-5
4. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-2, 6-1
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Taylor Soster, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
6. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) def. Alex Lineberry, 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 3
1. Wilhelm / Jackson (AF) def. Brouleau / Stakne, 8-5
2. Superlano / Ramirez (NMSU) def. Marin-Salcedo / Danny Gies, 8-2
3. Surreaux / Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Grubbs / Soster, 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1