BYU Defeats Air Force, 6-1
Feb. 2, 2013
Despite winning the No. 1 singles match, the Air Force men’s tennis team lost 6-1 to 48th-ranked BYU Saturday in Provo, Utah. The Cougars improved their record to 6-2, while the Falcons mark is even at 3-3.
Senior Lance Wilhelm improved to 6-0 this season at the No. 1 singles spot with an exciting 7-6(2), 7-6(7) victory over Patrick Kawka, the 12th-ranked player in the Mountain Region. Wilhelm, who saved a set point in the second–set tiebreak, has defeated three regionally-ranked players so far this spring.
The Cougars jumped out to a 1-0 lead with victories at all three doubles spots, then won five of the six singles matches, three of them in straight sets. Air Force sophomore Grant Taylor extended Spencer Smith to three sets before falling 6-4, 6-7, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot, while junior Alex Grubbs also lost in three sets, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2 to Keaton Cullimore at the No. 4 position.
"We played a very good BYU team tonight and fought our guts out but came up short,” said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. “It was another night where we lost several three-setters and we have to learn how to come through in those situations."
The Falcons play at the University of Denver on Friday, Feb. 8 at 6 p.m.
BYU 6, Air Force 1
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Patrick Kawka, 7-6(2), 7-6(7)
2. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Grant Taylor, 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
3. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Steven Young, 6-1, 6-2
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
5. John Pearce (BYU) def. Andy Jackson, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0(6)
6. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) def. Ali Rizvi, 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 6, 5