Falcons Open Spring with 6-1 Loss to #63 Denver
Jan. 30, 2010
The Air Force men’s tennis team opened its 2010 spring season Friday night with a 6-1 loss to the 63rd-ranked University of Denver in Denver, Colo. Freshman Lance Wilhelm posted AFA’s lone victory on Friday, winning the No. 1 singles match over Yannick Weihs, the Mountain Region’s ninth-ranked player, 6-3, 6-4.
DU, which defeated two nationally ranked teams last week and improved to 4-0 this year, swept the three doubles matches to take an early 1-0 lead. Wilhelm and senior Austin Francis nearly won the No. 2 match, but ended up falling to Weihs and Jens Vorkefeld, 9-8.
The Pioneers won the Nos. 2-6 singles matches in straight sets, with David Simson downing Francis, 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 2 spot. Enej Bonin followed suit at No. 3 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over junior Taylor Soster, while Fabio Biasion beat senior Brett Rodgers, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 4. Andrew Landwerlen handled junior Alex Beaussart, 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 5 position and Vorkefeld defeated freshman Stephen Katrein, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6.
“We played a very tough DU team tonight and I was thrilled with the way our players competed,” said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous after his first dual match at the helm of the Falcons. “This is one of the strongest teams we'll face all year and a win at No. 1 singles for freshman Lance Wilhelm is a tremendous accomplishment.”
The Falcons have a short turn around as they travel to Greeley, Colo., to face Northern Colorado on Saturday, Jan. 30 at noon.
#63 Denver 6, Air Force 1
Friday, Jan. 29, 2010
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Yannick Weihs, 6-3, 6-4
2. David Simson (DU) def. Austin Francis, 6-1, 6-4
3. Enej Bonin (DU) def. Taylor Soster, 6-4, 6-1
4. Fabio Biasion (DU) def. Brett Rodgers, 6-0, 6-2
5. Andrew Landwerlen (DU) def. Alex Beaussart, 6-3, 6-2
6. Jens Vorkefeld (DU) def. Stephen Katrein, 6-1, 6-1
1. Landwerlen / Simson (DU) def. Rodgers / Soster, 8-2
2. Weihs / Vorkefeld (DU) def. Francis / Wilhelm, 9-8
3. Biasion / Bonin (DU) def. Katrein / Sam Barnes, 8-3