Jan. 29, 2011
The Air Force men's tennis team improved to 2-0 this spring with a 7-0 victory over Northern Colorado Saturday at the Academy. The Falcons swept all nine matches, including five of the six singles contests in straight sets.
The Falcons jumped to a 1-0 lead by winning all three doubles matches. Sophomore Lance Wilhelm and freshman Andy Jackson led things off with an impressive 8-0 victory over Alejanda Moncada and Robbie Edwards. Senior Taylor Soster and freshman Alex Grubbs followed suit, winning the No. 2 match, 8-6, while freshmen Lucas Marin-Salcedo and Danny Gies won 8-3 at No. 3.
AFA continued its dominance in singles play, led by Wilhelm's 6-3, 6-3 win over Brandon Lupo at the top spot. Jackson (No. 2), Soster, (No. 3), Grubbs (No. 4) and freshman Ali Rizvi (No. 6) each won his match in straight sets, while freshman Alex Lineberry rallied to win the No. 5 match over Michael Moya, 3-6, 7-5, 10-5.
"Our team was very focused today and played with a lot of confidence," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "Everyone competed well and I'm very happy with how we've started our season."
The Falcons are back in action on Sunday, Jan. 30 against Seattle University at the Academy, beginning at 9 a.m.
Air Force 7, Northern Colorado 0
Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011
1. Lance Wilhelm def. Brandon Lupo, 6-3, 6-3
2. Andy Jackson def. Robbie Edwards, 6-4, 6-4
3. Taylor Soster def. Alejanda Moncada, 6-0, 6-0
4. Alex Grubbs def. Jeff Carlson, 6-2, 6-0
5. Alex Lineberry def. Michael Moya, 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (5)
6. Ali Rizvi def. Travis Day, 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 1, 6, 5
1. Wilhelm / Jackson def. Moncada / Edwards, 8-0
2. Soster / Grubbs def. Moya / Carlson, 8-6
3. Lucas Marin-Salcedo / Danny Gies def. Andre Lepine / Lupo, 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2