Jan. 27, 2013
The Air Force men's tennis team improved to 3-1 this season with a 6-1 victory over Seattle University Saturday at the Academy. The Falcons swept all three doubles matches and won five of the six singles contests for the second match in a row. Seattle fell to 0-5.
The Falcons rolled through all three doubles matches once again, led by the No. 1 team of senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor, who defeated Will Topp and Zach Kosanke, 8-2. Junior Alex Grubbs and freshman Jack McCullers followed suit at the No. 2 spot, defeating Kevin Lynch and Jason Bediones 8-3 and the No. 3 team of juniors Steven Young and Andy Jackson completed the sweep with an 8-4 win over Kyle Rapp and Ian Clare.
Air Force kept the momentum going through the singles matches as Young notched his second consecutive 6-0, 6-1 victory, defeating Bediones at the No. 4 spot. Grubbs was next off the court after beating Kosanke 6-0, 6-4 and Wilhelm clinched the team match with a 6-4, 6-3 triumph over Lynch to remain perfect (4-0) at the No. 1 position.
Taylor dropped the No. 2 match in three sets to Topp, but Jackson (No. 5) and McCullers (No. 6) each won his match in three sets, with Jackson also improving to 4-0 in singles this season.
The Falcons travel next weekend to play Utah on Friday, Feb. 1 and BYU on Saturday, Feb. 2.
Air Force 6, Seattle Univ. 1
Sunday, Jan. 27
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Topp / Kosanke, 8-2
2. Grubbs / McCullers (AF) def. Bediones / Lynch, 8-3
3. Young / Jackson (AF) def. Rapp / Clare, 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Kevin Lynch, 6-4, 6-3
2. Will Topp (SU) def. Grant Taylor, 6-4, 6-7(4), 1-0(3)
3. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Zach Kosanke, 6-0, 6-4
4. Steven Young (AF) def. Jason Bediones, 6-0, 6-1
5. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Kyle Rapp, 4-6, 6-1, 1-0(4)
6. Jack McCullers (AF) def. Ian Clare, 6-3, 2-6, 1-0(7)
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 2, 6, 5