Jan. 24, 2014
The Air Force men’s tennis team won the opening match of its 2014 spring season Friday with a 6-1 victory over Abilene Christian at the Academy’s Indoor Tennis Courts.
The Falcons swept the three doubles matches and won five of the six singles contests on Friday. AFA’s No. 2 doubles team of senior Alex Grubbs and sophomore Jack McCullers finished first, blanking Guilherme Gesser and Nico Agritelley 6-0. Junior Grant Taylor and freshman Lucas Fumagalli clinched the doubles point for Air Force with a 6-2 triumph over Marco Bensley and Jason Proctor at the No. 3 spot. Seniors Andy Jackson and Steven Young completed the sweep by rallying from two match points down to beat Borja Cortes and Nicklas Wingord, 6-5(6).
In singles action, Jackson lost the No. 1 match 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 to Cortes, but the Falcons won the other five matches, all of them in straight sets. Young handled Wingord 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 and McCullers beat Gesser 6-5(1), 6-3 at No. 3. Grubbs won at No. 4, 6-5(2), 6-1 over Proctor and Taylor (No. 5) and sophomore Andrew Parks (No. 6) each won handily.
"This was a nice start to our season,” said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. “We had a solid performance at every position tonight, especially from Jack McCullers."
The Division I men’s tennis teams are experimenting with a new scoring format during non-conference matches this season. All matches will be played with no-ad scoring and the doubles matches will play one set. In addition, a tiebreaker will be played at 5-all in all matches.
Air Force hosts Grand Canyon University on Sunday, Jan. 26 beginning at 10 a.m.
Air Force 6, Abilene Christian 1
Friday, Jan. 24, 2014
1. Andy Jackson / Steven Young (AF) def. Borja Cortes / Nicklas Wingord, 6-5(6)
2. Alex Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Guilherme Gesser / Nico Agritelley, 6-0
3. Grant Taylor / Lucas Fumagalli (AF) def. Marco Bensley / Jason Proctor, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Cortes (ACU) def. Jackson, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Young (AF) def. Wingord, 6-4, 6-1
3. McCullers (AF) def. Gesser, 6-5(1), 6-3
4. Grubbs (AF) def. Proctor, 6-5(2), 6-1
5. Taylor (AF) def. Agritelley, 6-1, 6-3
6. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Bensley, 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 6