Jan. 22, 2011
The Air Force men's tennis team opened its 2011 spring season Saturday with an exciting, come from behind 5-2 victory over Montana State at the Academy. The Falcons lost the doubles point, then rattled off five wins, including four in three sets, in singles action.
The Bobcats came out and jumped to a 1-0 lead by winning all three doubles matches by an 8-6 score. Alberto Fuentes and Prithiv Sivassubramanian started things off by winning at No. 2 over senior Taylor Soster and freshman Alex Grubbs. Diego Campos and Lander Jewett then clinched the doubles point by beating sophomores Sam Barnes and Stephen Katrein at the No. 3 position and Pawel Turzanski and Fletcher Keyes downed sophomore Lance Wilhelm and freshman Andy Jackson at the top spot.
The Falcons rallied in singles play, however, beginning with a 6-4, 6-0 victory by Grubbs at the No. 4 position over Campos, the only Air Force win in straight sets. Fuentes then gave MSU a 2-1 lead with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Soster at No. 3.
Jackson started the comeback with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 triumph at the No. 2 spot over Keyes and Wilhelm gave the Falcons the lead for good, rallying from a set down to beat Turzanski at the top spot, 6-7(5), 7-6(2), 6-2.
"Montana State played great doubles and got on top of us early," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "(Alex) Grubbs tied the match with a quick win at #4 and then Lance (Wilhelm) turned the match around with a come-from-behind win at #1. From there, our freshmen took over and won the next three matches. It was a great team win, we showed a lot of heart today and I'm proud of how they represented the Academy."
The Falcons are back in action next Saturday, Jan. 29 against Northern Colorado at the Academy, beginning at noon.
Air Force 5, Montana State 2
Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Pawel Turzanski, 6-7 (5), 7-6 (2), 6-2
2. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Fletcher Keyes, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
3. Alberto Fuentes (MSU) def. Taylor Soster, 7-6 (4), 6-4
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Diego Campos, 6-0, 6-4
5. Alex Lineberry (AF) def. Markus Schleuter, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. Steven Young (AF) def. Lander Jewett, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 6, 5
1. Keyes / Turzanski (MSU) def. Wilhelm / Jackson, 8-6
2. Fuetnes / Prithiv Sivassubramanian (MSU) def. Soster / Grubbs, 8-6
3. Campos / Jewett (MSU) def. Sam Barnes / Stephen Katrein, 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1