Jan. 20, 2013
The Air Force men's tennis team evened its record at 1-1 with come from behind 4-3 victory over the University of Montana Sunday in Boise, Idaho. The Falcons won one of three doubles matches and four of six singles contests.
Montana, defending champion of the Big Sky Conference, jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles spots. The Falcons took the No. 1 match as senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor, the eighth-ranked doubles team in the Mountain Region, defeated Andrew Warren and Ethan Vaughn, 8-4.
Only two of the six singles matches finished in straight sets, the No. 1 match that Wilhelm won with a 7-6, 6-1 decision over Warren and the No. 5 match as junior Steven Young downed Eric Braun, 6-2, 6-3.
Air Force also won No. 3 and No. 6 singles despite losing the first set in each match. Junior Alex Grubbs won at No. 3, defeating Vaughn 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, while fellow junior Andy Jackson improved to 2-0 this spring at No. 6 with a 6-7, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Zach Drost.
"I'm proud of how our team fought back today, down a point after doubles and losing 3 first sets in singles," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "This match could have gone either way and our guys showed their toughness against a good Montana team. They won the Big Sky conference last year and know how to win matches. We learned a lot this weekend and are ready to get back to work this week to prepare for our first home matches."
The Falcons host Montana State on Saturday, Jan. 26 beginning at 9 a.m.
Air Force 4, Montana 3
Sunday, Jan. 20
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Warren / Vaughn (UM), 8-4
2. Facey / Drost (UM) def. Grubbs / Jackson (AF), 8-6
3. Braun / Branzburg (UM) def. Kinsey / Ali Rizvi (AF), 8-0
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Andrew Warren (UM), 7-6, 6-1
2. Michael Facey (UM) def. Landon Kinsey (AF), 2-6, 7-6, 6-0
3. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Ethan Vaughn (UM), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Semion Branzburg (UM) def. Grant Taylor (AF), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
5. Steven Young (AF) def. Eric Braun (UM), 6-2, 6-3
6. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Zach Drost (UM), 6-7, 6-2, 6-4