Falcons Take on Denver on Saturday

    Sophomore Kevin Rosser
    Sophomore Kevin Rosser

    Oct. 10, 2007

    Complete Release in PDF Format
    Download Free Acrobat Reader

    Game #11
    Air Force Falcons vs. Denver Pioneers
    Saturday, Oct. 13, 2007
    1 p.m. at Denver, CO

    Game Notes

    Air Force -- 2-7-1, 0-2 MPSF
    Denver -- 5-3-1, 1-0-1 MPSF

    Air Force -- Doug Hill (2-7-1 at AFA and Career)
    Denver -- Bobby Muuss (5-3-1 at DU and Career)

    Recent Results
    Air Force -- Lost to UNLV, 1-0 (2ot); Lost to #22 New Mexico, 6-0
    Denver -- Tied #22 New Mexico, 1-1; Defeated UNLV, 2-1

    Top Players
    Air Force -- Freshman Kyle Schafer leads the team in scoring with five points (2g, 1a)
    Denver -- Kellan Christensen (5g, 2a) and Joe Mathot (4g, 4a) each have 12 points

    Falcons Drop First Two MPSF Games
    The Air Force Falcons lost their first two games against Mountain Pacific Sports Federation foes last weekend. The Falcons fell to UNLV, 1-0 in double overtime on Friday, then lost 6-0 to No. 22 New Mexico on Sunday. The Falcons, who have not scored in four of their last five games, are 2-7-1 overall and 0-2 in league play.

    Falcons at Denver on Saturday
    Air Force continues on the road in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation this weekend. The Falcons will play travel north on I-25 for a rare Saturday game against the University of Denver on Oct. 13. The game will begin at 1 p.m. The game is the seventh consecutive match away from Cadet Soccer Stadium. The next home game for Air Force is on Friday, Oct. 19, against San Jose State.



    Guyette Up There in League Stats
    Senior goalie Brian Guyette continues to lead the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation by averaging 4.70 saves per game. He is also third in the conference in goals-against average at 1.28. Kyle Schafer is tied for 17th in the MPSF in scoring, averaging 0.50 ppg, and is the fifth top scoring freshman in the league.

    Players See First Career Action
    Sophomores Jim Gullo and Jeff Reddout each played in his first career game Sunday against New Mexico. Gullo, a goalie, played the final 40 minutes after relieving starter Brian Guyette. Reddout, a defender, entered the game in the first half.

    Up Next
    The Falcons host San Jose State on Friday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. at Cadet Soccer Stadium

    Last Weekend's Recaps
    UNLV 1, Air Force 0 (2 ot)
    Lamar Neagle scored his sixth goal of the season three minutes into the second overtime to give the UNLV men's soccer team a 1-0 victory over Air Force in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation opener for both teams Friday night from Peter Johann Memorial Field. The Falcons, who suffered their third double-overtime loss in the last five games, fell to 2-6-1 this season, while UNLV, which has won three straight games for the first time since the 2004 season, improved to 5-3-2 and is in first place in the MPSF. UNLV held the advantage on offense for the majority of the game, holding a 15-7 edge on shots, including 12-6 in regulation, but Air Force played strong defense, keyed by senior goalkeeper Brian Guyette, who finished with seven saves. He had no chance on the final play of the game however, as with the Falcons on the attack, Rebel defender Mason Trafford intercepted a pass, and sent a high ball back towards the Air Force half of the field. The ball landed in front of Neagle as the Rebels all of a sudden had a two-on-one fast break, and he dribbled unmarked straight into the box before unleashing a hard shot high to the left top corner of the goal for the score in the 103rd minute. Calvin Bailey earned the shutout for the Rebels, making two saves. He also earned his third shutout of the season and third consecutive, marking the first time in 18 years UNLV has blanked three straight opponents.

    New Mexico 6, Air Force 0
    Chris Wright and Justin Davis both scored a pair of goals as the New Mexico men's soccer team shutout Air Force, 6-0, Sunday at the UNM Soccer Complex. With the win, the Lobos improved to 6-3-1 on the season and 1-0-1 in Mountain Pacific Sports Federation play, while the Falcons fell to 2-7-1 overall and 0-2 in the MPSF. The Lobos scored early and put away the Falcons in the first 18 minutes of the match. Wright made a moved into the box but was knocked down by Falcon keeper Brian Guyette. As a result, the Lobos were awarded a penalty kick just 14:38 into the match. Simon Ejdemyr stepped up and went low-left for the 1-0 lead. On the ensuing restart, the Falcons turned the ball over at midfield on the right side. Jack Smithson sent in a cross from just on the Falcon side of the pitch to Davis who was waiting at the top of the box. Davis turned and fired, sending the ball past Guyette for the 2-0 advantage at 15:03. New Mexico struck again less than two minutes later when Smithson made another run down the right side. He sent in a cross from the baseline to Davis who took a shot. His try bounced off Guyette to Wright, who put home the score. The Lobos led the match 3-0 just 17:30 into the game. Air Force wasn't without their chances, posting 14 shots and six corners overall. Ejdemyr was whistled for a yellow card in the 25th minute, giving Air Force a free kick from 35 yards out. Falcon senior Ian Hauck smashed a shot that was headed for the upper-right corner of the goal. However, UNM keeper Mike Graczyk made a diving save to keep the shutout. The Falcons also shot a PK of their own off the cross bar in the 69th minute. New Mexico kept up the pressure in the second half when Smithson hooked up with Mike Porter in the 50th minute. Porter made a perfect pass in the middle to Smithson who beat Guyette on the right side for the 4-0 lead. The Lobos scored again just over two minutes later when sophomore P.J. Wilson made a run down the right side. He crossed the ball to Wright who took a shot that was saved. However, Air Force's new keeper Jim Gullo could not secure the rebound and Wright put home the loose ball for his seventh goal of the season. UNM's final tally came in the 62nd minute. This time Davis took a loose ball from Air Force on its half of the field. He then made a move down the left side and put in his second goal of the game.

    Inside Men's Soccer