Falcons Jump Into First Place With 2-1 Win Over Seattle

Oct. 29, 2010

Box Score in PDF Format Get Acrobat Reader

The Air Force men's soccer team took over first place in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation's Mountain Division and clinched a spot in the league's postseason tournament Friday night with a 2-1 victory over Seattle University, 2-1, at Championship Field in Seattle, Wash. The Falcons, winners of three straight games and five of their last six, improved to 7-9 overall and 5-3 in the MPSF, while the Redhawks fell to 4-9-3 and 2-5-1 in league play.

Sophomore Conor Henry and junior Ben Chavez each notched a goal for the Falcons and sophomore goalie Matt Underwood made three saves. Despite getting outshot 13-7 in the first half, AFA held a 1-0 advantage at halftime after Henry received a cross from Kevin Durr and shot the ball into the left side past a diving Redhawk goalkeeper Jake Feener in the 38th minute.

In the 56th minute, Seattle's Brady Ballew tied the game at 1-all after taking a pass from Bobby Segal and beating Underwood from 20 yards out. The Redhawks held a 20-15 advantage in total shots and Feener made two saves for Seattle.

After conceding the tying goal, the Falcons became much more aggressive and pushed the ball into the Redhawk half of the field. The SU backline, who had played composed for much of the game, had a momentary lapse giving Air Force an offensive opportunity. AFA sophomore Zane Dydasco received the ball near the goal line and crossed it to Chavez, who put a touch on the ball and put the game-winner to the far post in the 77th minute. It was Chavez' second goal of the season and Dydasco notched his team-high fifth assist and has a helper in each of AFA's last three games.

The Falcons, who last won three consecutive games during the 2005 campaign and lead the MPSF with five conference victories, travel to Cal State Bakersfield on Sunday to face the Roadrunners at 1 p.m. (PT).



Air Force Logo


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago