Air Force and Holy Cross skate to 3-3 overtime tie
Alex Halloran

Dec. 7, 2013

Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

WORCESTER, Mass. - Junior defenseman Alex Halloran scored a career-high two goals, including a power-play, extra-attacker goal with 1:21 left in the third period as Air Force came from behind to force a 3-3 overtime tie with Holy Cross in an Atlantic Hockey Association game, Saturday, Dec. 7, at the Hart Center in Worcester, Mass. The two teams skated to back-to-back overtime ties in the series. Air Force is now 7-5-4 overall this season and 4-2-3 in the AHA. Holy Cross is 4-9-2 overall and 3-4-2 in the league.

Holy Cross opened the scoring with a power-play goal at the 7:22 mark of the first period. Brett Lubanski took a shot that was saved and, after a flurry in front of the Falcon net, Shayne Stockton scored his second of the season for a 1-0 Crusader lead.

After a scoreless second period, the two teams combined for five goals in the third period. Holy Cross took a 2-0 lead at 1:20 of the third period as Brett Lubanski scored from Tommy Dwyer and Sean Gustin. Trailing 2-0, the Falcons scored the next two goals to tie the score midway through the third. Air Force got on the board at 8:32 on the rush. Mitch Torrel carried the puck down the right wing and centered the puck for Jason Fabian. Fabian netted his second of the weekend and fourth of the season to cut the HC lead to 2-1. The Falcons tied the game on the power play as George Michalke III drew a penalty and the Falcons capitalized. Cole Gunner kept the puck in the zone by jumping high to knock it down with his hand. After a flurry in front, Alex Halloran scored his first of the season at the 12:11 mark. Gunner collected his 11th assist on the season. Just over 90 seconds later, the Crusaders regained the lead. After winning a faceoff in the offensive zone, Matt Vidal ripped a shot from the high slot that beat Jason Torf high to the blocker side at 13:58. With 3:18 left in the third period in a four-on-four situation, Air Force pulled its goalie in favor of the extra skater. After the penalty on Halloran expired, the Falcons had a two-man advantage and tied the game with 1:21 remaining. A.J Reid fed Adam McKenzie at the point and his shot was redirected by Halloran at the top of the crease to tie the game at 3-3. Holy Cross had two shots in overtime while Air Force did not have a shot on goal.

Holy Cross outshot Air Force, 36-32 in the game. AFA was 2-for-4 on the power play while HC was 1-for-5. Matt Ginn made 29 saves for the Holy Cross while Torf had 33 for the Falcons.

"It is amazing how many times this team has come from behind," head coach Frank Serratore said. "If we worked as hard at getting a lead, as we do coming back from the dead, we would be so much better off. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot. But then the guys work so hard to get back in it. Our guys just don't quit. Our effort and attitude are both great. But our attention to detail is lacking at times in key situations."

Air Force is off until Dec. 29-30 when the Falcons travel to the Ledyard Bank Classic, hosted by Dartmouth, in Hanover, N.H.





Air Force Logo


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago