Lamoureux nets game-winner in final second as Air Force beat Holy Cross, 7-6

Dec. 4, 2010

Box Score in PDF Format Get Acrobat Reader

USAFA, Colo. - Jacques Lamoureux scored the game-winning goal with 0.3 seconds left as Air Force came from behind to beat Holy Cross, 7-6, in a wild Atlantic Hockey Association game Saturday, Dec. 4, at the Academy's Cadet Ice Arena. Kyle DeLaurell tallied his first career hat trick in the game as Air Force improved to 6-7-2 overall and 4-3-2 in the league. Holy Cross fell to 6-7-2 overall and 5-3-2 in the league.

Holy Cross had leads of 3-1 to start the second period and 6-4 to start the third period. After trailing 3-1 to start the second period, Air Force tied the game at 3-3, fell behind 4-3, tied it at 4-4, and then again fell behind, 6-4, late in the second. The Falcons scored three third-period goals for the team's fifth win this month.

Air Force opened the scoring at 8:44 of the first period as De Laurell scored on the power play from Tony Thomas and Jason Fabian. Holy Cross scored the next three goals of the game, in a span of 2:34. Rob Linsmayer scored a five-on-three power-play goal at 14:19 when he re-directed a shot by Mike Daly. Jay Silvia gave the Crusaders a 2-1 lead at 15:21 on the five-on-four power play. Silvia tipped in a shot by Evan Zych. Shayne Stockton scored at 16:53 on a slap shot through a screen at 16:53.

The Falcons came back to tie the game early in the second period. De Laurell's second of the game cut the Holy Cross lead to 3-2, 26 seconds into the second period. On the power play, DeLaurell's wrister from in tight came from Thomas and Fabian. Just over 90 seconds later, Burnett tied the game from Paul Weisgarber and Lamoureux. Burnett collected a rebound behind the goal line and shot it off of the back of goaltender's leg to tie the score at 3-3. Linsmayer's second of the game gave the Crusaders a 4-3 lead at 11:59 on a two-on-one rush. The Falcons answered as Scott Mathis tied the game at 4-4 at the 14:33 mark. His fifth of the season was a shot from the point as Tim Kirby and Burnett assisted on the play. In the final five minutes of the period. Holy Cross scored twice for a 6-4 lead. Matt Gordon scored on a rebound at 14:54 and then Stockton scored his second of the game at 18:58. Stockton's wrister from the right side went off the stick of Falcon defenseman Stephen Carew, over the shoulder of goalie Jason Torf, landed on the goal line against the far post and trickled in.

At the beginning of the third period, Torf was replaced in goal by Falcon junior Stephen Caple. Air Force started the third period on the power play and Lamoureux scored just 71 seconds into the period. Weisgarber and Mathis assisted as Lamoureux put back a rebound to make the score 6-5. With 4:05 left in the third period, the hats flew on the ice and DeLaurell tied the game at 6-6. DeLaurell won the faceoff in the offensive zone and George Michalke took the puck down the left wall. His centering pass was right on the tape and DeLaurell scored his first career hat trick. With 13 seconds left in regulation, Adam McKenzie was taken down near the post and the Falcons went on their eighth power play of the game. Weisgarber won the ensuing faceoff, put the puck was cleared out of the zone. Mathis sent it deep in the corner where Weisgarber and Burnett battled for control. Burnett fired the puck off the wall to a wide open Lamoureux in the slot who re-directed it five-hole with 0.3 seconds remaining.

Air Force outshot Holy Cross, 18-3, in the third period and 38-24 in the game. AFA was 4-for-8 on the power play while HC was 2-for-3. Torf played the first 40 minutes in goal for Air Force and made 15 saves while allowing six goals. Caple played the final 20 minutes and earned his third win of the season. He faced just shots in the third period, but did not allow a goal. Derek Kump made 31 saves for the Crusaders.

"This was a must win for us," head coach Frank Serratore said. "I am real proud of our guys. Holy Cross didn't give us this game, we took it. In the third period, we were drawing penalties and really took the game to them. We made some defensive mistakes and that was frustrating. But I give our guys a lot of credit, they kept coming back after getting kicked in the gut a lot tonight. A win like this certainly helps going into a long break."

Air Force is now off for 26 days for final exams and the holidays. The Falcons' next series is Dec. 30-31 against Bentley in Waltham, Mass.




Air Force Logo


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago