Reese scores game-winner as Falcons win 4-3 over Robert Morris

    Josh Print
    Josh Print

    Nov. 26, 2006

    Box Score in PDF Format
    Download Free Acrobat Reader

    U.S.A.F. ACADEMY, Colo. - Brian Reese scored the game-winning goal with 1:18 left in the third period as Air Force came from behind for a 4-3 win over Robert Morris, Sunday, Nov. 26, at the Academy's Cadet Ice Arena.

    Air Force improved to 8-7-1 overall. Robert Morris fell to 4-8-0 this season.

    The Falcons ended a six-game losing streak to RMU as the Colonials beat Air Force five times last season. Air Force has now won four of its last six games.

    Air Force scored first as Billy Devoney scored at 12:13 of the first period from David Martinson and Eric Ehn. Ehn fed Martinson in the neutral zone and the freshman skated down the right wing. He found Devoney in the high slot for his third marker of the season.

    RMU tied the score and then took the lead in the second period. The Colonials tied the game at 3:04 of the second period as Jake Sparks scored on the power play with a slap shot from the point. The Falcons re-gained the lead at 10:29 on the power play as Theo Zacour scored. Air Force was on a four-minute power play after penalties on Chris Margott. Brent Olson took a shot from the bottom of the left circle that clanked off the post and came out on the other side. Zacour knocked it in for this second of the year.



    RMU tied the score at 12:46 after the Falcons turned the puck over. A pass to the point got past everyone and RMU's Ryan Cruthers collected it in the neutral zone. His slap shot beat Falcon goalie Andrew Volkening to tie the score at 2-2. After the goal, Ian Harper replaced Volkening. Five minutes later, RMU took a 3-2 lead as Chris Kaufman scored on the power play for a 3-2 lead. Aaron Clarke's slap shot from the point rattled through the pads of Harper and got behind the goaltender. Kaufman snuck in from behind to score his first of the year.

    Air Force rallied back for two goals in the third period. Print tied the game at 3-3 at the 12:12 mark. Zacour started a rush in the neutral zone and fed Olson whose shot was saved. Print, who dove in the pile while being pulled to the ice, slid the puck under the pads for his second of the season.

    Reese's heroics came in the final two minutes. He threw his body on the ice to block a shot by a Colonial defenseman with 90 seconds left in the third period. Freshman Jeff Hajner picked up the puck and skated it into the RMU zone. His drop pass was to Reese whose first shot was saved, but his second one got past Boucher.

    The Colonials pulled the goaltender for the final 1:15, but were unable to get a shot on net. With time winding down, Print intercepted a pass at the blue line and sent the puck deep into the RMU end to eat up a significant amount of time.

    Air Force outshot RMU, 42-22, in the game, including a 20-7 margin in the first period. The Falcons were just 1-for-8 on the power play while RMU was 2-for-4. Boucher made 38 saves in the game. Volkening made nine saves while allowing two goals in 33 minutes. Harper earned his fourth win of the season as he stopped 10 of 11 shots he faced in 27 minutes.

    "Robert Morris is a very difficult team to play against," head coach Frank Serratore said. "They have a goaltender that keeps them in every game and they have enough skill to score when they have chances. We got behind, but found a way to come back and get two even-strength goals in the third period. We didn't capitalize on our power plays early in the game and it came back to haunt us. We put in Ian Harper after the second goal and he has now come off the bench to win two games for us this season. He has that in him. He is a battler."

    Air Force returns to Atlantic Hockey Association play next week as the Falcons host Sacred Heart, Friday-Saturday, Dec. 1-2, at the Cadet Ice Arena.


    Inside Ice Hockey