Canisius comes back for 3-3 overtime tie with Air Force
Chad Demers

Oct. 29, 2011

Photo Gallery 

Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

Photo Gallery

USAFA, Colo. - Canisius scored two goals in the final 94 seconds of the third period to escape with a 3-3 overtime tie with Air Force in an Atlantic Hockey Association game Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Academy's Cadet Ice Arena.

Air Force, 3-2-2 overall and 2-0-1 in the AHA, outshot Canisius, 10-3, in the first period but the teams left the ice in a scoreless tie. AFA had 1:37 of a five-on-three early in the second period but were unable to convert. The Falcons continued the offensive pressure and scored two goals in a span of 54 seconds. Scott Mathis broke the tie at the 15:18 mark with a shot from the point that found its way through traffic. Tim Kirby and Ryan Timar assisted on the play as Casey Kleisinger provided the screen in front. The Falcons took a 2-0 lead at 16:12 on Kyle De Laurell's sixth of the season. Chad Demers gave the puck to Cole Gunner in the neutral zone and Gunner took the puck down the left side and behind the goal line. De Laurell took the drop pass at the bottom of the left circle and went over the glove and under the bar for a 2-0 AFA lead. The Falcons outshot the Griffs, 25-4, in the second period.

Canisius, 1-2-1 overall and 1-0-1 AHA, got on the board at the 13:37 mark with a short-handed goal by Torrey Lindsay. With Air Force on the power play, Lindsay forced a turnover at the blue line and chased the puck down in the neutral zone. Falcon defenseman Alex Halloran caught up with Lindsay just as he took a wrister from the slot. Stephen Caple made the save, but the puck came right back at Halloran and Lindsay who were sliding on the ice. The puck bounced off of Lindsay and went under the pad of Caple to make the score 2-1. Just as the power play expired, Gunner took a shot from the left side that was saved and Demers put back the rebound at the 15:00 mark for a 3-1 lead. With 1:48 remaining, Canisius pulled its goaltender in favor of the extra skater and scored just 14 seconds later. Kyle Gibbons took a shot from the left circle that made the score 3-2 with 1:34 remaining in the third. After the center ice faceoff, the Griffins pulled the goalie again and had two faceoffs in the offensive zone in the final minute. With 15 seconds remaining, Canisius won a faceoff and Ben Danford took a shot from the left circle. The shot was blocked in front, but the puck squirted out to the right side of the net and Doug Beck tucked it under the pad of Caple to tie the game with six seconds remaining. Canisius had three shots in overtime and AFA had one, but neither team scored.

"The game is 60 minutes, not 58," head coach Frank Serratore said. "We needed someone to dig in and win a faceoff, or someone to make a play or make save and we didn't get any of them. Give Canisius credit. They earned it. Their goaltender was terrific. Our kids played so hard and worked their butts off tonight. But we cheated ourselves at the end. I love the kind of effort we had tonight and our game was pretty good overall. But this one is a kick in the stomach."

AFA out-shot Canisius, 48-24, in the game. The Falcons were 0-for-6 on the power play while Canisius was 0-for-2. Caple made 21 saves for Air Force while Tony Capobianco made 45 for Canisius.

The Falcons host Sacred Heart in a two-game league series, Friday-Saturday, Nov. 4-5, at the Cadet Ice Arena.




Air Force Logo


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago