Robert Morris rallies for 3-2 win over Air Force


    Oct. 17, 2010

    Video Highlights

    Box Score in PDF Format Get Acrobat Reader

    PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Robert Morris overcame a 2-0 Air Force lead for a 3-2 win in an Atlantic Hockey Association game, Sunday, Oct. 17, at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pa. The game was the AHA opener for Air Force.

    The Falcons fall to 0-3 overall and 0-1 in the league. Robert Morris improved to 4-0 overall and 3-0 in the league. Robert Morris scored a goal in the final 2:30 of each period.

    Air Force opened the scoring at the 6:09 mark when sophomore defenseman Mike Walsh scored his first career goal. Derrick Burnett led the rush down the center of the ice and found Jacques Lamoureux coming down the left side. Lamoureux's shot was saved but the puck kicked out to the right point when Walsh collected it. After slipping around a defenseman, Walsh went top shelf for a 1-0 lead. Another Falcon scored his first career goal as freshman George Michalke scored from Lamoureux and Walsh at 18:28. Lamoureux took a shot from low on the goal line on the right side and the rebound kicked out to the top of the crease where Michalke gave Air Force a 2-0 lead with 1:32 left in the period. With five seconds left in the period, the puck slid behind the Air Force net and was dug out by Cody Creighton and sent to the front of the net. With one second remaining, Trevor Lewis slid the puck under AFA goalie Jason Torf, who was sprawled out on the ice, to make the score 2-1 after one period.

    The only goal of the second period came with 2:30 left in the period when Chris Kushneriuk scored on the power play. A shot from the point deflected off of an Air Force stick and ended up on the stick of Kushneriuk who was all alone on the back door. His goal tied the game at 2-2 after the first two periods.

    The score remained tied until there was less than three minutes left in the third period. A puck that wrapped around the boards jumped over the stick of an Air Force defenseman and into the neutral zone. Colonial forward Nathan Longpre picked it up, cut in front of a Falcon defenseman trying to catch up and beat Torf through the five hole for a 3-2 RMU lead. The Falcons pulled the goaltender in the final 80 seconds and had a couple scoring chances that were turned away by Brooks Ostergard. AFA out-shot RMU, 38-33. Torf made a career-high 30 saves in the game. Ostergard made 36 for RMU. AFA was 0-for-4 on the power play while RMU was 1-for-3. The Colonials' power-play goal in the second period was the first allowed by Air Force this season.

    "We are plenty good enough to lose games close all year," head coach Frank Serratore said. "It was a hard fought game in the third period and I thought the most determined was going to win this one. Great players make great plays at important times in games and tonight it was their best players that did that. Coming into the season, we weren't sure of our goaltending. But the last two games, Jason Torf has more than held up his end of the bargain. The bottom line is we have to find a way to score more than two goals. I love the potential of this team, but this team needs to realize its potential. Our upperclassmen need to be the leaders and steer this ship in the right direction. I am excited about this group, but we have to tidy some things up. We have a good group of guys and it is an honor for me to coach them because they are quality people. But they have to decide as a group if they want to be contenders."

    Air Force begins a six-game home stand when the Falcons host AIC, Friday-Saturday, Oct. 22-23, at the Cadet Ice Arena. Both games are at 7:05 p.m. MT and tickets are available at




    Inside Ice Hockey