Air Force holds on to beat McGill, 5-4, in exhibition game

    Scott Mathis

    Scott Mathis

    Oct. 3, 2011

    Photo Gallery 

    Photo Gallery

    Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

    Video Highlights

    U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. - After falling behind 2-0 in the first 10 minutes, Air Force scored five unanswered goals for a 5-4 win over McGill University, in an exhibition college hockey game Monday, Oct. 3, at the Academy's Cadet Ice Arena.

    McGill struck first with two goals in a span of 26 seconds. Nicholas Therrien scored with a slap shot from the left circle at the 9:06 mark from Benjamin Morse and Andrew Wright. The Redmen took a 2-0 lead at 9:32 on a slap shot from the left circle by Keven Dupont. His goal was assisted by Christopher Longre-Poirier and Vincent Bourgeois. After the goal, Falcon starting goaltender Jason Torf was replaced by senior Stephen Caple. The Falcons answered with four goals in a span of 4:15 to take a 4-2 lead. Jason Fabian got the Falcons on the board at 15:09 on the rush. John Kruse made a cross ice pass to Fabian coming down the right side. Less than a minute later, Kyle DeLaurell tied the game at 16:06. Tim Kirby took a shot from the right point that bounced around in front of net. DeLaurell collected it to tie the game at 2-2. Thirty seconds later, Kruse gave the Falcons a 3-2 lead with a wrister from the left circle from Fabian and Tony Thomas. After serving a tripping penalty, George Michalke came out of the penalty box and forced a turnover. Chad Demers tipped the puck back to Michalke who went the length of the ice, around a defender in front and flipped a backhand over the shoulder of goaltender, Antoine Tardif.

    McGill changed goalies to start the second period as Tardif was replaced by Hubert Morin. Air Force extended its lead to 5-2 when senior Paul Weisgarber scored at 6:30 of the second period. Kirby and Cole Gunner assisted as Weisgarber scored from right in front of the crease. McGill scored the next two goals to cut the Falcon lead to 5-4. Alexandre Picard-Hooper took a pass in front from Francis Verreault-Paul and scored at 11:40. Fourteen seconds later, the Redmen struck again as Nicholas Biniek scored on a rebound. After the goal, Caple was replaced in goal by Torf.

    Neither team scored in the third period as Air Force outshot McGill, 11-5, but both goaltenders kept the nets clean in the final period. McGill pulled its goaltender in the final 63 seconds, but was unable to tie the game. Air Force outshot McGill, 43-21, in the game. AFA was 2-for-7 on the power play. McGill was 0-for-3. Torf made nine saves in 38 minutes and allowed two goals. Caple earned the win as he made eight saves in 22 minutes and was in net when the game-winning goal was scored. Tardif allowed four goals and made nine saves in 20 minutes. Morin made 29 saves in 39 minutes and took the loss, allowing the game-winning goal.

    Air Force opens the regular-season at the annual Icebreaker Classic on Friday-Saturday, Oct. 7-8, in Grand Forks, N.D. AFA faces third-ranked North Dakota on Friday, Oct. 7, at 7:37 CT in the first round. The Falcons will then face either Michigan State or fifth-ranked Boston College on Saturday, Oct. 8, at 4:07 p.m. CT. The Falcons open the home schedule on Friday, Oct. 14, vs. Niagara at 7:05 p.m. at Cadet Ice Arena.




    Inside Ice Hockey