Falcons and Holy Cross skate to 2-2 overtime tie

Jan. 12, 2007

Box Score in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

WORCESTER, Mass. - Holy Cross scored two goals in the third period to force a 2-2 overtime tie with Air Force in an Atlantic Hockey Association game Friday night, Jan. 12, at the Hart Center in Worcester, Mass.

Air Force is now unbeaten in its last three games and is now 11-8-4 overall and 8-3-4 in the AHA. Holy Cross is 8-11-3 overall and 7-8-3 in the league.

After a scoreless first period, Michael Mayra put the Falcons on the board at the 8:12 mark of the second period. Mike Phillipich made a cross-ice pass to Mayra at the point and his slap shot beat goalie Charlie Lockwood. With 1:27 left in the second period, the Falcons struck again for a 2-0 lead as Phillipich scored from Eric Ehn. Phillipich's first shot was saved, but he put back his own rebound for his ninth of the season.

Air Force started the third period on the power play, but was unable to score. Then two minutes later, the Falcons were on the power-play again, but it was the Crusaders who scored. At the 4:17 mark of the third period, Crusader winger James Sixsmith scored a short-handed breakaway goal to make the score 2-1. Just three minutes later the Crusaders were on the power play and tied the game with a goal by Dale Reinhardt. Sixsmith made a pass from the corner to Reinhardt in front of the net to tie the game at 2-2. Neither team scored in the final 13 minutes of the third or in overtime.



The Falcons out-shot the Crusaders, 33-19, in the game, but were a minus-2 in special teams. AFA was 0-for-3 on the power play while Holy Cross was 1-for-2 with a shortie. Peter Foster made 17 saves for AFA while Lockwood made 33 for the Crusaders.

"It's disappointing that we didn't get the two points tonight for the win," head coach Frank Serratore said. "We had a two-goal lead in the third period and that is the most deceiving lead in hockey. They are a well-coached team that plays very hard and never quits. I give them a lot of credit. They goaltender was outstanding. Certainly this was not a good tie as we had a two-goal lead in third. We need to put people away. We need to get a big play, either a big goal or big save, and we didn't get either. Instead, Holy Cross made the big plays in the third period. Hopefully we are better on special teams tomorrow and make a few more big plays."

The same two teams conclude the league series on Saturday, Jan. 13 in Worcester, Mass.


Air Force Logo


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago