The dream is nearing reality as the Falcon Stadium renovation project is continuing. The Falcons open the season Sept. 1 against Stony Brook and when they do the team will be in its newly constructed locker room.
An update on current construction follows:
Concrete concourse placement complete; rough interior dry wall installed throughout space; tile placement underway with painting expected in coming weeks. Placement of the concrete concourse was completed June 15. Landscaping and replacement of sidewalk/paving outside the fence line to be completed after tie in of fire protection water line. Drywall is up throughout most of the spaces with some areas nearing their finish coat and ready to paint, which is expected to start in the coming weeks. Tile work started this week, including the tile on the prominent columns within the main locker room area.
As construction progresses, there have been multiple site visits by Academy personnel. The sports medicine teams recently visited to ensure outlet placement met mission needs. This week also included a productive site visit from out-of-town members of the design team, including the Air Force Academy Athletic Corporation’s project management lead and the design firm’s project architect.
The locker room project is phase two of the renovation plan. A compete plan follows.
Falcon Stadium Renovation Bullet Points
- This is the first major renovation since the facility opened in 1962
- Renovation is being tackled in 4 Phases and is a public/private partnership
o Phase 1 is complete
- Two new scoreboards
- New sound system and ribbon boards
- Blue and Silver Club renovation presented by USAA
o Phase 2 will break ground immediately following the 2017 Football Season.
- Estimated private cost: $6,000,000 (partnership between USAFA Endowment and AFAAC)
- Home Locker Room Renovation and Expansion.
- Includes auxiliary locker rooms, medical areas, and a designated presidential green room.
- Visiting locker room update
- Foundation and structural support for Phase 4
o Phase 3 – East Side Complex
- Timeline and Estimated Cost: TBD
- New entrance to Falcon Stadium
- Premium Seating and Suites
- Premium bar and food access
- Apparel store and Ticket Office
- Class of ’66 Memorial Fence
o Phase 4 – North End Complex
- Time and Estimated Total Cost: TBD
- Suites and/or Club Seating
- Recruiting room
- Catwalk above the tunnel
Throughout the renovation, government support will address items such as ADA Compliance, restrooms, electrical upgrades, plumbing upgrades, etc.