Varsity Weight Room
The FAC weight room compliments the varsity weight room, which opened in the spring of 1993. The varsity weight room is over 12,000 sq ft in size and is located in the cadet gymnasium, which was built in 1958, three years after the Air Force Academy opened.
Teams using the varsity weight room include:
golf, fencing, lacrosse, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's swiming and diving, men's and women's track and field, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's gymnastics, and wrestling.
Among the features of the varsity weight room are:
- 4-lane 40-yard track down the center of the room;
- 12 Olympic lifting platforms;
- 12 squat racks;
- 10 flat bench;
- 10 incline stations; and
- 3 sets of dumbbells from 5-170 lbs.
Additional traditional equipment includes:
- 1 leg press;
- 1 multi-hip;
- 1 Smith machine;
- 2 leg extensions;
- 6 leg curls;
- 6 lat pull/seated row combinations;
- 6 back extension/glute ham machines;
- Various free standing flat, incline, and decline benches;
- 4 110 lb. water filled logs (with additional weight capability);
While the varsity weight room may be the second best strength and conditioning facility on base it is still one of the outstanding facilities in the Mountain West Conference and the nation. The goal is to continue to upgrade and improve this facility to maintain that status.