Feb. 28, 2012
USAF ACADEMY, Colo. - After weeks intense, hard-hitting, preliminary action, 20 members of the Air Force boxing team are ready to compete at the 2012 Wing Open Championships on Thursday, March 1. Highlighted by bouts in 10 weight classes, the contenders will finally head under the lights of Clune Arena for the chance to earn their spot in Academy history.
- Of the 22 boxers, six are previous champions and nine are past finalists. Past champions include Drew Pineda (2010, 2011), Dan Starr (2009, 2011), Glenn Miltenberg (2011), Casey Habluetzel (2011), Mike McLain (2009, 2010, 2011) and Zac Spranger (2011), while Justin Zahn (2011), Stephen Bittner (2011), Andrew Munoz (2011), Will Petersen (2010, 2011), Craig Spranger (2011), Tyrus Korecki (2009, 2010, 2011), Denis Vorobyov (2011), Logan Brandt (2009) and Brian Corcoran (2011)
- There are two rematches from last year's finals: 147 pounds (Glenn Miltenberg vs. Craig Spranger) and 175 pounds (Mike McLain vs. Denis Vorobyov)
- Two brothers are in the lineup; Craig Spranger (147 pounds) and Zak Spranger (185 pounds).
- Four boxers call Colorado home: Logan Brandt (Colorado Springs), Tyrus Korecki (Denver), Chris Nelson (Colorado Springs), Dan Starr (Greenwood Village)
- The 125-pound bout (Stephen Bittner vs. Roy Taylor) are both from Cadet Squadron 15
- The 112-pound (Drew Pineda) and 119-pound (Justin Zahn) weight classes will be unopposed; Pineda is the defending NCBA national champion at 112 pounds
The winners of the Wing Open will form the nucleus of the Air Force team that will represent the Academy at the National Collegiate Boxing Association (NCBA) regional and national competitions. The Falcons have won 18 of 31 national titles and produced 103 national champions.
2012 WING OPEN LINEUP
112-lbs.: Drew Pineda (CS-05)
119-lbs.: Justin Zach (CS-27)
125-lbs.: Stephen Bittner (CS-15) vs. Roy Taylor (CS-15)
132-lbs: Andrew Munoz (CS-40) vs. Will Petersen (CS-02)
139-lbs.: Dan Starr (CS-32) vs. Ethan Salgado (CS-14)
147-lbs.: Glenn Miltenberg (CS-27) vs. Craig Spranger (CS-18)
156-lbs.: Tyrus Korecki (CS-24) vs. Blaze Dunn (CS-22)
165-lbs.: Casey Habluetzel (CS-32) vs. Chris Nelson (CS-13)
175-lbs.: Mike McLain (CS-24) vs. Denis Vorobyov (CS-03)
185-lbs: Andre Guthrie (CS-24) vs. Zac Spranger (CS-35)
195-lbs: Logan Brandt (CS-18) vs. Brian Corcoran (CS-27)
Hywt.: Olawale Lawal (CS-13) vs. Joseph Okai (CS-26)
Action for the 2012 Wing Open Boxing Championships is slated to begin at 7 p.m., at Clune Arena in the Cadet Field House. Admission is free.