Air Force Outlasts TCU In Overtime, 66-65

Jan. 29, 2011

Box Score Get Acrobat Reader | Notes Get Acrobat Reader | Updated Stats Get Acrobat Reader

The Air Force men's basketball team overcame a five-point deficit in overtime Saturday and pulled out a 66-65 victory over TCU at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. Taylor Stewart scored the winning basket with 11 seconds left in the extra frame for the Falcons, who snapped a 20-game road losing streak to Mountain West opponents.

TCU scored the first five points of overtime and led 63-58 before Michael Lyons hit a three-pointer with 2:14 remaining to cut the lead to two. A pair of free throws by Garlon Green with 1:59 put the Frogs up 65-61, but the shots would prove to be TCU's final points of the night.

Derek Brooks hit a 3-pointer for Air Force (12-8, 3-4 MWC) with 55.7 seconds remaining, then Stewart added the final margin after Green was called for slapping the ball against the glass on its way down with 11.8 to play. TCU had one final chance on the ensuing possession, but Greg Hill's layup attempt as time expired rattled out of the hoop.

Brooks posted career-highs of 18 points and four assists to lead Air Force. Lyons chipped in with 15 points and a team-high six boards, while Tom Fow added 11 points.

Green led TCU (10-13, 1-7 MWC) with team highs of 16 points and nine rebounds, while Amric Fields added 10 points and six boards.

It looked as if Air Force would earn the victory in regulation, moving ahead by five points on a Lyons basket with 2:16 remaining in regulation, but TCU was able to rally. Cerina cut the deficit to two points with a three-point play with 1:50 left, then Green tied the game at 58-58 on a deep jumper at the 1:00 mark. Hank Thorns missed the front end of a one-and-one with five seconds left to send the game to overtime.

TCU led by as many as eight points earlier in the second half following a 14-5 run highlighted by six straight Frogs points by Cerina to end the spurt. Air Force responded by scoring 17 of the game's next 21 points. Two straight buckets by Lyons brought the Falcons even, while Brooks followed with his second 3-pointer and Stewart with a layup to give AFA a 56-51 edge with just over three minutes to play.

TCU led by as many as six points early in the contest on the heels of a 9-0 boosted by three straight layups from J.R. Cadot. Air Force tied the game at 16-16 with 6:17 remaining in the period following a 3-pointer by Zach Bohannon and a layup by Lyons. Air Force scored the final eight points of the half, including a buzzer-beating 30-footer by Fow, to move into the locker room up five, 29-24.

The Falcons host New Mexico on Tuesday, Feb. 1 beginning at 6 p.m.



Air Force Logo


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago