June 30, 2011
W-L (Home/Away/Neutral): 10-10/3-18/6-8
So. OF Alex Bast
So. C/OF Garrett Custons (.330 avg., 69 hits, 21 doubles, 6 homers, 42 runs scored)
So. RHP Sean Carley (3-5, 3.94 ERA, 62 K, 82.1 IP)
So. RHP Stephen Colangelo (1-2, 5.52 ERA, 30 App., 7 saves)
Team Highlights of 2011
- Winningest season since 2002.
- 19 wins are the second-most vs. Div. opponents (20 wins is record by 2002 team).
- 19 Div. I wins are the most by a first-year head coach.
- First win over a Pac 10 school (Washington) since 1990.
- First win over San Diego State since 2003.
- School record .960 fielding Pct.
- .957 MW fielding pct. is second all-time in MW play.
- 6.09 team ERA lowest since 1982.
- 7.84 MW ERA second-lowest in MW play and lowest since 2002.
- Lowered team ERA 5.22 runs (11.31-6.09) from 2010 season.
- Four complete games are the most since 2003.
- Eight saves are the most since 2002.
- Pitching staff allowed the fewest homers since 1992 and the fewest ever in MW play.
Individual Highlights of 2011
- Sean Carley two-hit shutout vs. Bowling Green, including 12 K's and retiring 24 in a row to close game.
- Nathan Carter sets NCAA Div. I record with 33 career triples.
- Nathan Carter led MW with seven triples.
- Sean Carley 3.94 ERA lowest at AFA since 1983.
- Sean Carley 4.10 ERA lowest ever at AFA in MW play.
- Stephen Colangelo's seven saves ranks fifth in a season at AFA.
- Stephen Colangelo's 30 appearances is fourth in a season at AFA and led MW.
- Alex Baker's 28 appearances ranks fifth in a season at AFA and was second in MW.
- Patrick Lobo's 8 sac bunts is an AF freshman record.
- Blair Roberts' 10 sac bunts is tied for second in a season at AFA.
- Garrett Custons ranks amongst MW Top 10 in 11 categories.
- Garrett Custons first-team All-MW C
- Sean Carley second-team All-MW RHP
- Sean Carley MW Pitcher of the week (March 15)
- Sean Carley CollegeBaseballInsider.com National Pitcher of the Week (March 16)
- Sean Carley College Baseball Foundation "National All-Star Lineup" (March 17)
- Garrett Custons MW Player of the Week (March 21)
- Luke Dorlac MW Pitcher of the Week (March 21)
- Garrett Custons goAirForceFalcons.com Athlete of the Week (March 21)
- Ben Bertelson goAirForceFalcons.com Athlete of the Week (April 25)
MW Scholar Athlete (# times honored)
Jr. LHP Michael Ceci (2)
Sr. SS Vai Schierholtz (1)
Bast Named Team MVP
Sophomore outfielder Alex Bast was named Air Force's team MVP for the 2011 season. The Pensacola, Fla., native led the Falcons with 21 doubles, which is tied for third-most in a season at AFA. He was second on the team with 67 hits, 30 RBIs, 37 runs scored and three triples. His .318 batting average ranked third on the team. Bast led the team with 54 starts.
Nathan Carter: team captain...33 career triples is new NCAA Div. I record...AFA top 10 in career games, at bats, runs, triples, stolen bases, walks and hit-by-pitches...led the NCAA in triples as a freshman...four year starter played in 204 career games.
Parker Mayo: Returned to team after taking junior year off...made 98 starts in 125 career games at first and catcher...third on team with four home runs...fourth on team with 25 RBIs...ranks sixth in MWC with .995 fielding percentage...eighth in MWC with 10 runners thrown out despite just 12 starts at catcher.
Jon McMahon: Returned to team after taking junior year off...98 starts in 121 career games...fourth on the team with .283 batting average...had one of Air Force's most memorable moments of 2011, hitting a home run off TCU ace Matt Purke at TCU.
Brad Pingel: Returned to team after taking junior year off...pitched first two years at AFA, before becoming a two-way player as a senior...had 44 career appearances on the mound, including 22 games as a freshman...batted .278 on the season...only Falcon to hit an inside-the-park homer this year.
Vai Schierholtz: Returned to team after taking junior year off...had 81 career starts in 101 games...had 25 starts at shortstop on the season...second on the team in steals and ranks fourth all-time at Air Force with 14 sacrifice bunts.