U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- Air Force rising senior Griffin Jax was taken in the third round, of the 2016 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft, Friday, June 10. Jax, a right-handed pitcher, was selected 93rd overall by the Minnesota Twins. This is Jax’s second time being drafted, as he was a 12th round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies in 2013 out of Cherry Creek High School.
Jax is coming off one of the greatest seasons ever by an Air Force pitcher. The Greenwood Village, Colo., native and Cherry Creek High School graduate has picked up several accolades this season, including Louisville Slugger All-America (Second Team), Mountain West Co-Pitcher of the Year and First-Team All-MW. Jax posted a 9-2 record with a school-record 2.05 earned run average. He led the conference in ERA and with 105.1 innings pitched. His nine wins and 90 strikeouts ranked second. Jax also owns school records with six wins and a 2.21 ERA in MW play.
“I am grateful to the Minnesota Twins organization for believing in me and allowing me to fulfill my dreams of serving my country and having the opportunity to play baseball at the highest level,” Jax said. “I look forward to completing my education at the Air Force Academy this next year and exploring my options after graduation. I also want to thank my family and everyone at the Academy who has been so supportive throughout this process.”
Jax is the seventh cadet-athlete ever to be drafted for Air Force and just second pitcher. He is just the second junior ever drafted at Air Force, joining Jeff Brown (1975). Jax is the third Falcon to be drafted in the last three years under current head coach Mike Kazlausky, joining Garrett Custons (10th round by Toronto in 2013) and Ben Yokley (29th round by St. Louis in 2015).
“What an exciting day not only for our Griffin, but also for our Air Force Academy baseball program!” head coach Mike Kazlausky said. “We continue to attract the best of the best to this fine institution. I look forward to him serving our country in the military and proud that he has been considered talented enough to be wanted by Major League Baseball teams.”
Air Force Baseball Players Selected in MLB Draft
- 1972, Brad Fulk, Texas, 1st round, 2nd pick overall
- 1975, Jeff Brown, Philadelphia
- 1976, Jeff Brown, Philadelphia
- 2001, Mike Thiessen, Arizona, 42nd round
- 2007, Karl Bolt, Philadelphia, 15th round
- 2013, Garrett Custons, Toronto, 10th round
- 2015, Ben Yokley, St. Louis, 29th round
- 2016, Griffin Jax, Minnesota, 3rd round, 93rd overall
Falcons That Played Pro Ball
- Mike Thiessen, Lancaster, Adv.-A, Arizona, 2003
- Matt Kaercher, GCL Red Sox, Rookie League, Boston, 2003
- Matt Kaercher, Portland SeaDogs, Class AA, Boston, 2003
- Matt Kaercher, Sarasota Red Sox, Class A, Boston, 2004
- Karl Bolt, GCL Phillies, Rookie League, Philadelphia, 2007
- Karl Bolt, Lakewood BlueClaws, Class A, Philadelphia, 2008
- Garrett Custons, Bluefield Blue Jays, Class A, Toronto, 2013
- Ben Yokley, Johnson City Cardinals, Rookie League, St. Louis, 2015