May 17, 2011
Air Force (18-33, 3-17) vs. BYU (26-24, 8-11)
Thursday, May 19 (12 p.m.) Doubleheader 7/9 inn.
Friday, May 20 (2 p.m.)
Saturday, May 21 (12 p.m.)
Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo.
gametracker for all three games.
byucougars.com (beginning at 2 p.m. Friday)
AF: Maj. Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) First year as a head coach.
BYU: Vance Law (BYU, 1978) is 373-318-2 in his 12th year at BYU.
Last Time Out:
AF - Went 1-2 vs. UNLV last weekend.
BYU - Went 1-2 at San Diego State last weekend.
BYU leads 139-27
- BYU won first two games in Provo April 7-8.
Falcon Baseball Concludes 2011 Season vs. BYU
Air Force baseball wraps up the 2011 season with a four-game series May 19-21 vs. BYU, its final series with the Cougars as Mountain West Conference foes. Live stats and internet broadcast will be available each day.
BYU is 26-24 on the season after going 1-2 at San Diego State over the weekend.
- BYU will leave the MWC and join the West Coast Conference in baseball starting next season.
- The Cougars are batting .268, have an ERA of 4.02 and are fielding .955.
- Fr. RF Jaycob Brugman leads the team in hitting, batting .331 with six homers and 40 RBIs.
- Jr. RHP Matthew Neil (5-4, 2.25), So. RHP Taylor Cole (4-5, 3.33), Fr. RHP Desmond Poulson (4-0, 5.23) and So. LHP Mark Anderson (3-2, 4.50) are slated to pitch against the Falcons.
Series History vs. BYU
- Air Force and BYU have played each other 165 times.
- The Cougars lead the series 139-27.
- The two teams first met on June 2, 1962, where the Falcons defeated the Cougars, 4-2, at the District VII playoffs.
Air Force-BYU Connections
BYU has three players on its roster from Colorado.
BYU Sr. right-hander David McKnight and AF So. infielder Blair Roberts are both from Parker, Colo. and attended Chaparral HS.
- BYU So. LHP Chris Howard and AF Jr. OF Shayne Hulce both attended Fountain-Fort Carson HS in Colorado Springs. Howard is a Colorado Springs native and Hulce is a Fountain native.
- Sr. 1B Ryan Bernal - Grand Junction/Grand Junction HS
- BYU pitching coach Bobby Applegate was the pitching coach at Air Force for four years, from 1998-2001.
First Meeting vs. BYU
- The Falcons dropped both games at BYU over the weekend, falling 10-4 and 10-1. Saturday's game was snowed out.
- The Falcons batted .265, had a 11.25 ERA and fielded .984 vs. BYU.
- Matt Thorne led the Falcons offensively, batting .500 (4-for-8). Seth Kline batted .429 (3-for-7) and had three RBIs and Alex Bast added two doubles.
- RHP Cameron White did not allow a run in 3.1 innings in relief.
- Jack Hourin fanned all three batters faced.
- The Falcons racked up 50 hits, 16 for extra base, vs. BYU last year.
Recapping UNLV Series
- The Falcons went 1-2 vs. UNLV over the weekend. UNLV took game one 3-1 and AFA rallied to take game two 7-6 Saturday. UNLV won 14-9 on Sunday.
- The Falcons batted .284, had a 5.00 ERA and fielded .958 vs. UNLV.
- So. C Garrett Custons batted .667 (8-for-12) in the series to lead the Falcons.
- Sr. CF Nathan Carter also homered and drove in four runs Saturday.
- The Falcons hit three triples over the weekend and stole 5-for-6 bases.
- Custons and Parker Mayo combined to throw out all four steal attempts by UNLV.
- Ben Bertelson did not allow an earned run in seven innings Friday.
- Stephen Colangelo closed all three games in the series.
Final Series For Five Seniors
Five Air Force seniors will don the Falcon baseball jerseys for the final time this weekend. Seniors Nathan Carter, Parker Mayo, Jon McMahon, Brad Pingel and Parker Mayo will become commissioned to the Air Force upon graduation next Wed., May 25.
Nathan Carter: team captain...32 career triples is tied for first all-time in NCAA Div. I...AFA top 10 in career games, at bats, runs, triples, stolen bases, walks and hit-by-pitches...led the NCAA in triples as a freshman...four year starter has played in 200 career games.
Parker Mayo: Returned to team after taking junior year off...has made 94 starts in 121 career games at first and catcher...second on team with four home runs...fourth on team with 24 RBIs...ranks sixth in MWC with .995 fielding percentage...eighth in MWC with seven runners thrown out despite just 11 starts at catcher.
Jon McMahon: Returned to team after taking junior year off...94 starts in 117 career games...fourth on the team with a .305 batting average...had one of Air Force's most memorable moments of 2011, hitting a home run off TCU ace Matt Purke at TCU.
Brad Pingel: Returned to team after taking junior year off...pitched first two years at AFA, before becoming a two-way player as a senior...has 43 career appearances on the mound, including 22 games as a freshman...is batting .278 on the season...only Falcon to hit an inside-the-park homer this year.
Vai Schierholtz: Returned to team after taking junior year off...has 77 career starts in 97 games...has 21 starts at shortstop on the season...is second on the team in steals and ranks fourth all-time at Air Force with 14 sacrifice bunts.
Seniors Get Assignments
All five Air Force baseball seniors have received their first assignments as 2nd. Lieutenants upon graduation in June.
Nathan Carter - Pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
Parker Mayo - TBA
Jon McMahon - UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) Pilot training, Randolf AFB, Texas.
Brad Pingel - Space & Missiles, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
Vai Schierholtz - Acquisitions - Los Angeles, AFB, Calif.
Kazlausky Tied For Most Div. I Wins As A Rookie Coach
With 18 wins this year, Maj. Mike Kazlausky is tied with Paul Mainieri--now the head coach at LSU--for the most Div. I wins at Air Force by a first-year coach. Air Force's 18 wins this season are the third most vs. Div. I opponents in a season and just two behind the 2002 team's record 20 Div. I wins.
Carter NCAA All-Time Leader In Triples
Senior center fielder Nathan Carter has 32 career triples, which is tied for the most career triples in NCAA Div. I history. He led the nation with 10 triples as a freshman. Carter leads the Mountain West Conference with six triples so far this season.
Lowest Team ERA Since 1982
Ten of 11 returning pitchers that have pitched in 2011 have improved upon their previous season's ERA. AFA's ERA is 5.97 after 51 games, an improvement of over five fewer runs per game from the 11.14 ERA after 51 games in 2010. That ERA is currently the lowest at the Academy since the 1982 team's 5.79 ERA.
Abrecht With Fastest Start By AF Pitcher Since 1995
Junior right-hander Evan Abrecht got off to a hot start, winning his first five outings. Abrecht is the first pitcher to start the season 5-0 in his first five starts at Air Force since Dave Lyons won nine straight to start the 1995 season. Abrecht is 5-7 on the season and is second on the team with 48 strikeouts in 76.0 innings and is third with a 7.70 ERA.
Carley Lowest ERA Since 1983
Sophomore right-hander Sean Carley's 3.94 earned-run average is lowest ERA by a starter at Air Force since Bob Wright posted a 3.58 ERA in 1983. Carley leads the Falcons with 62 strikeouts in 82.1 innings pitched.
Colangelo Closing Games For Falcons
Sophomore Stephen Colangelo is cementing his role as Air Force's closer. The right-hander sports a 4.25 ERA to go with six saves in 28 appearances. Colangelo leads the MWC in appearances and games finished (26) and is third in saves.
Falcons Getting Solid Starting Pitching
Air Force starting pitchers are off its best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 5.61 ERA, having struck out 182 in 274.1 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 12.10 ERA and had struck out 131 in 208.1 innings.
Relievers Pitching Well Too
The Air Force relief pitching corps has shown improvement as a group from 2010. Air Force has six relievers with ERA's below 5.40. Last year, Air Force's lowest ERA for a reliever was 7.20. This year, the Falcons have seven relievers with ERA's below that.
Falcons On Pace To Set Fielding Record
Air Force is fielding .959 so far this season. That is currently the highest fielding percentage in school history. The Falcons set a school record last season with a .958 fielding percentage.
Good At Turning Two
Air Force is first in the Mountain West Conference with 49 double plays turned. That total is 23rd in the nation. Second baseman Blair Roberts is second the MWC with 36 double plays.
First Win Over Pac 10 School Since 1990
Air Force's 16-10 win over Washington was its first win over a Pac-10 conference school since 1990, a span of 21 years. The last team Air Force defeated from the Pac was none other than Washington at the Seattle Kingdome.
Coach Kaz In First Year As Head Coach
Maj. Mike Kazlausky makes his head coaching debut for the Falcons vs. Missouri State. Coach "Kaz" is the first Academy grad/player to be the head coach at Air Force. Kazlausky, a 1991 grad, is Air Force baseball's first military coach since Capt. Jim Hanley in 1988.
Falcons With MLB Ties
Air Force features a pair of seniors that have family ties to Major League Baseball. Seniors Nathan Carter and Vai Schierholtz have older brothers on MLB rosters. Carter's brother, Chris, was an outfielder for the New York Mets last year and is now with the Tampa Bay Rays. Schierholtz's brother, Nate, is an outfielder for the 2010 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants. Carter and Schierholtz both hail from the East Bay region of Northern California and attended high schools just 10 miles apart from each other (Carter - De La Salle HS in Concord and Schierholtz - San Ramon Valley HS in Danville).
Air Force features nine pitchers that stand 6-foot-3 or taller, including six that are at least 6-foot-4. Junior right-hander Vince Capra is Air Force's tallest player at 6-foot-6.
Conference Realignment On the Horizon
Air Force will play final conference games vs. Utah and BYU in 2011. Utah will join the Pac 10 (to become the Pac 12) and BYU will join the West Coast Conference (independent in football) in 2011-12. There will be just five baseball programs in the MWC in 2011-12. In 2012-13, the Mountain West will become a six team league, with the additions of Fresno State and Nevada and the departure of TCU to the Big East Conference.