May 15, 2013
Notes in PDF
UNLV Rebels - Thursday, May 16 - 3 pm
UNLV - Friday, May 17 - 1 pm
UNLV - Saturday, May 18 - 12 pm
Series at Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo.
- Livestats and webcast (video) available through goairforcefalcons.com
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 47-110 in his third year.
UNLV: Tim Chambers (Southern Utah, 1989) is 93-73 in his third year at UNLV and is 500-212-1 in his 14th year overall.
Air Force - 14-35, 6-21
UNLV - 34-17, 16-11
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 1-2 at San Diego State last weekend.
UNLV - Went 3-0 at Nevada last weekend.
UNLV leads, 21-81
Air Force went 0-3 at UNLV March 29-31.
Air Force Hosts UNLV in regular season finale
Air Force baseball closes out the regular season with a three-game Mountain West series, hosting UNLV May 16-18 at Falcon Field. Live webcast and stats will be available for all three games.
Final Home Series For Seniors
Ten Air Force seniors will graduate from the 2013 team. Below is a list of the seniors and their Air Force assignments upon graduation.
David Baska - Space Operations**
Alex Baker - Pilot Training
Alex Bast - Space Operations
Ben Bertelson - Pilot Training
Garrett Custons - Financial Management
Todd Del Toro - Financial Management
Jack Hourin - Pilot Training
Matthew Roberts - Pilot Training
Matt Thorne - Space Operations
Matt Zettler - Civil Engineering**
**Baska will graduate following Fall semester.**
**Zettler missed 2013 season due to Tommy John Surgery.**
Series History vs. UNLV
- Air Force and UNLV have played each other 102
- The Rebels lead the series 81-21.
- The two teams first met on March 14, 1970, where the Falcons defeated the Rebels, 2-1.
- UNLV is 34-17, 16-11 on the season.
- The Rebels are batting .307, have a 4.11 ERA and fielding .962.
- 1B Patrick Armstrong leads the team in hitting, batting .400 with six homers and 35 RBIs.
- RHP Buddy Borden (7-1, 2.16) anchors the Rebel rotation.
UNLV has two players on its roster from Colorado. So. RHP John Richy (Golden - Golden HS) and Sr. OF/RHP Mark Shannon (Littleton - Chatfield HS/Northern Colorado).
First Series vs. UNLV
The Falcons were swept in a three-game series at UNLV March 29-31. The Falcons lost 4-1, 11-10 and 8-7.
- The Falcons batted .287, had a 6.92 ERA and fielded .937 in the series.
- Brian Sicher batted .556 (5-for-9) to lead the Falcons.
- Cameron White and Steven Trojan pitched six innings in starts vs. UNLV.
Recapping San Diego State Series
The Falcons went 1-2 at San Diego State last weekend. The Falcons won game one 4-2, snapping a 28-game losing streak at SDSU dating back to the 2002 season. The Aztecs won game two 7-2 and game three 9-2.
- The Falcons batted . 172 in the series, posting a 6.48 ERA and fielding .982.
- Spencer Draws led the Falcons at the plate, batting .273 (3-for-11) with a pair of doubles and three RBIs.
- Cameron White tossed a complete game, five-hitter, to go with seven strikeouts in win Friday.
White earns co-MW Pitcher of the Week
Cameron White earned Mountain West Co-Pitcher of the Week honors, for games played from May 6-12, 2013.
White, a right-hander from Colleyville, Texas, led the Falcons to a 4-2 win at San Diego State on Friday night. White threw a complete game, not allowing a hit until two outs in the fifth inning. He recorded seven strikeouts, did not give up a walk and allowed only five hits.
Air Force has played 36 road/neutral games to just 13 home games so far in 2013. The Falcons are hitting .079 points higher and fielding .010 percent better at home.
Air Force is 11-10 in home and neutral site games. Conversely, the Falcons are just 3-25 in true road games.
Custons Sets Doubles Record
Garrett Custons set the school record for doubles in Sunday's game at New Mexico. With his two doubles, Custons has 76 career doubles, surpassing the previous record of 74, held by Mike Thiessen. Thiessen is currently co-offensive coordinator of the Air Force football team.
Custons & White Amongst NCAA Top 10
Garrett Custons and junior RHP Cameron White rank in the NCAA Top 10 in a couple categories. Custons, who ranks second in the Mountain West with 21 doubles, ranks ninth in the nation in doubles. White ranks seven in the nation with 0.76 walks per nine innings. White is ninth in the nation with a 8.13 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
The Air Force pitching staff has been significantly improved in the last three seasons. The Falcons are reaching several milestones for far this season, and in the past three.
- 2.91 Walks allowed per game, which is currently the lowest mark in program history.
- Four straight 300 strikeouts seasons, the first time in school history.
- On pace for 351 K's, which would be second all-time.
- 7.62 ERA in Mountain West play is currently the second-lowest ever.
Air Force is tied for hit by pitches with 61 beanings so far this season.
David Baska leads the conference with 17 HBPs and
Garrett Custons ranks second with 16. Baska's total ranks third in school history and Custons is fourth.
Strong Starting Pitching
Air Force is getting steady production out of its starting pitching so far in 2013. The Falcon starters have logged at least five innings in 34 of 46 games this season. The starters have allowed three-or-fewer earned runs in 20 games.
Bertelson Most K's since 2002
Ben Bertelson leads the team and ranks third in the conference iwth 79 strikeouts. He currently ranks 10th in a season at AFA. He has the most strikeouts in a season since Erik Fisher's 88 in 2002.
The Falcon bullpen has proven to be solid for the Falcons also this season. The bullpen has an ERA of 6.73. Last year, the bullpen ERA was 7.47.
Custons Enters Falcon Record Books
Garrett Custons is putting the finishing touches on one of the best careers in Academy history. Custons is currently in the Air Force Top 10 list in nine categories.
Air Force heads to the Mountain West baseball championships, held May 22-26 in Fresno, Calif. Air Force will play the opening game Wednesday, May 22, starting at 3 pm PST.