May 14, 2008
Series Notes in PDF Format
Air Force (16-32, 2-19) vs. UNLV (20-33, 8-13)
vs. UNLV - Thursday, May 15 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - 2 p.m. (MST)
vs. UNLV - Friday, May 16 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - 1 p.m.
vs. UNLV - Saturday, May 17 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - Noon
- Live stats available at www.goairforcefalcons.com
AF: Mike Hutcheon (Wayne State (Neb.), 1984) is 48-207 in his 5th year at Air Force and 288-347 in his 13th year as a head coach.
UNLV: Buddy Gouldsmith (Sacramento State, 1992) is 145-162 in his 6th year at UNLV.
UNLV leads the series 63-15.
UNLV defeated Air Force 13-12 to close out the Falcons' 2007 season on May 19, 2007.
AF: Seven game losing streak.
UNLV: Five game losing streak.
Falcons Conclude 2008 Hosting UNLV
The Air Force Falcon baseball team (16-32, 2-19) wraps up its 2008 season hosting UNLV (20-32, 8-13) for a three-game Mountain West Conference series, Thurs.-Sat., May 15-17, at Falcon Field. Live stats will be available for the series. Saturday's series finale will honor Air Force's four seniors.
Final Home Series For Four Falcon Seniors
The UNLV series are the final three games for four Air Force seniors. Cadet first-classmen Jake Allen, Chay Derbigny, Erol Kelter and Josh Meents will be honored prior to Saturday's series finale. Below is a quicklisting of their contributions to Falcon baseball.
- Made the team as a senior after two years away from the program.
- Appeared in 41 games, making 23 starts.
- Has 18 runs scored and 10 RBIs on the season.
- Hit two home runs and drove in five runs against Lehigh in Palm Beach, Fla.
- Three-year starter leads the Mountain West Conference with 30 stolen bases in 32 attempts, which ranks second-most in a season at Air Force.
- Team co-captain leads team with .310 batting average to go with 13 doubles, five homers, 35 runs and 29 RBIs.
- 58 career swipes is third all-time at Air Force and in MWC history.
- 30 swipes is tied for the most by a senior in MWC play and third most in MWC history.
- Three-year letterwinner has appeared in five games, getting two hits in nine at bats so far in 2008.
- Will assist AF baseball in 2009 as a coach at the USAFA Prep School.
- A standout in the classroom, Meents is one of 10 finalists for the 2008 Lowe's Senior CLASS award for college baseball.
- After an 0-for-16 start to season, is batting .347 since.
- Also leads the Falcons with a .349 average in Mountain West Conference play.
- The Air Force's lone four-year letterwinner.
Seniors Get Assignments
- All four Air Force seniors have recently obtained their first assignment upon graduation. Upon graduation, the four seniors will become 2nd Liutenants in the Air Force and are required to serve five years of active duty.
- Seniors Jake Allen, Chay Derbigny and Erol Kelter will all attend Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) in the first step towards becoming a pilot.
- Derbigny is slated to go to UPT at Columbus Air Force Base in Mississippi.
- Allen and Kelter will go to UPT at Laughlin AFB, Texas. Kelter will spend 2008-09 as a baseball coach at the USAFA Prep School before heading to Laughlin.
- Senior Josh Meents will be stationed at Los Angeles AFB, Calif., as a Scientific Analyst where he will contuct research on Satellites.
Noting the Falcons
- Air Force is 16-32 on the season. The Falcons were swept in a four game set against Utah last weekend.
- Air Force is batting .270 on the season, has a pitching staff earned run average of 8.69 and is fielding .955.
- Senior outfielder Chay Derbigny leads the team with a .310 batting average and leads the MWC with 30 stolen bases.
- Sophomore reliever Michael Ruvolo leads the pitching staff with a 5-4 record, 6.26 ERA and four saves in 41.2 innings of work.
- Utah is 20-33 on the season and 8-13 in conference play after getting swept by New Mexico last weekend.
- The Rebels have the top hitter in the MWC in junior third baseman Xavier Scruggs. Scruggs leads the conference in most offensive categories, including average (.400), homers (19) and RBIs (64).
- Junior right hander Corey Hales (4-3, 5.46) leads the staff with 35 K's in 62.2 innings pitched.
- UNLV is batting .310 as a team, has a staff ERA of 7.13 and is fielding .964.
- Air Force and UNLV have played each other 78 times.
- The Rebels lead the series 63-15.
- Air Force has lost 27 games in a row to UNLV.
- The Falcons' last win over UNLV came on May 12, 2002, a 10-8 win in Las Vegas.
- The two teams first met on March 14, 1970, where the Falcons defeated the Rebels, 2-1.
- Air Force has no players on its team from Nevada.
- Air Force freshman 2B/OF Nathan Carter and UNLV freshman right-hander Jared Wagner were high school teammates at De La Salle high school in Concord, Calif.
- UNLV has two players from Colorado. Freshman right-hander Patrick Darrow is a native of Englewood and graduated from Cherry Creek HS. Junior J.T. Putt is a native of Evergreen and attended Mullen HS.
Most Wins Since 2002
Air Force enters the UNLV series with 16 wins, the most in a season so far in the Mike Hutcheon era and most since the 2002 team won 27 games. Ten wins by the 2006 team was the previous high under Hutcheon's tenure.
Derbigny Stealing His Way Into Record Books
Senior outfielder Chay Derbigny has begun to climb the Air Force record book in two categories. The team co-captain leads the MWC with 30 stolen bases on the year, giving him 58 career swipes. The 30 swipes is second all-time in a season at the Academy third in the Mountain West Conference. Jim Best holds the Academy record with 41 swipes in 1979 and BYU's Cameron Coughlan stole 33 bases for the MWC record in 2002. Derbigny's 58 career swipes ranks third all-time. In addition, Derbigny has been hit by a pitch 28 times, ranking 8th at the Academy.
Truesdale MWC Leader In Innings Pitched
Air Force right-hander Alex Truesdale leads the MWC with 88.2 innings pitched. The sophomore from Austin, Texas, has pitched into the eighth inning in his last five starts. His 88.2 innings pitched ranks 10th in a season at the Academy and is the most by a Falcon since Matt Kaercher set the school record with 110.1 innings pitched in 2002.