May 10, 2012
- Friday, May 11 (3 p.m.)
- Saturday, May 12 (1 p.m.)
- Sunday, May 13 (11 a.m.)
All four games at Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo.
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 32-69 in his second year.
TCU: Jim Schlossnagle (Elon 1992) is 361-156 in his 8th year at TCU and 438-202 in his 12th year overall.
Last Time Out:
AF - Went 1-3 at the Jayhawk Classic in Lawrence, Kan. last weekend.
TCU -Went 2-1 hosting New Mexico over the weekend.
- TCU leads, 28-3
TCU swept three-game series in Fort Worth, April 13-15.
Air Force Hosts #24 TCU In Home Series Finale
Air Force baseball closes out its home slate with a three-game set against nationally-ranked #24 TCU. The series is Fri.-Sun., May 11-13 at Falcon Field. Live stats and internet broadcast will be available for all three games.
TCU is 29-16 on the season after going 2-1 vs. New Mexico last weekend.
- The Horned Frogs are batting .252, have an ERA of 3.09 and are fielding .966.
- Sr. OF Jason Coats is TCU's top hitter, batting .321 with four homers and 235 RBIs.
- So. Andrew Mitchell (4-2, 3.07) and Fr. RHP Preston Morrison (7-0, 1.90) are slated to start vs. AFA.
- TCU leads the series 28-3.
- The two teams first met on March 21, 1997, as Western Athletic Conference foes, where the Frogs defeated the Falcons, 9-3, at the Academy.
- Air Force has five players, four pitchers, on its roster from the State of Texas. Alex Baker, Ben Bertelson, Jack Hourin, David Thomas and Cameron White all hail from the Lone Star State.
First Meeting vs. TCU
- Air Force went 0-3 vs. TCU over the weekend. The Falcons lost 5-0 on Friday, 6-1 Saturday and 6-2 Sunday.
- The Falcons batted .196, had an ERA of 5.13 and fielded .990 vs. TCU.
- Evan Abrecht tossed his third straight complete game on Sunday.
- Jake Schomaker was Air Force's top hitter, batting .286 (2-for-7).
- The Falcons had four relievers that did not allow a run in the series.
- Todd Del Toro did not allow a run in 4.2 innings of relief.
- The Falcons committed just one error in 73 chances.
Recapping Jayhawk Classic
- Air Force went 1-3 at the Jayhawk Classic last weekend in Lawrence, Kan. The Falcons lost 7-0 to Missouri State and 5-2 to Kansas on Friday, then lost 11-3 to Missouri State and defeated Kansas 3-0 on Saturday.
- The Falcons batted .192, had a 4.76 ERA and fielded .987 in the four games.
- Alex Bast was the top hitter for AFA, batting .500 (7-for-14) with two homers and five runs scored.
- Ben Bertelson tossed an eight-hit shutout Sunday vs. Kansas, striking out eight.
- Bast, Bertelson and catcher Brian Sicher (3 doubles) were named to the All-Tournament team.
- Mike Kazakoff pitched in the first three games in relief.
Final Home Games For Six Falcon Seniors
Six Air Force seniors will don the Falcon baseball jerseys at home for the final time this weekend. Seniors Evan Abrecht, Michael Ceci, Adam Hill, Victor Iacobbo, Mike Kazakoff and Blair Roberts will become commissioned officers to the Air Force upon graduation on May 23.
Evan Abrecht: Has pitched in 62 games, making 37 starts...ranks in the AFA All-Time Top 10 in innings pitched (265.2) and strikeouts (185)...MW Top 10 in innings pitched (79.2), strikeouts (60) and wins (4)...has pitched into the sixth inning in every start so far this season.
Michael Ceci: Has pitched in 49 games, making 28 starts...has logged 156.1 innings, striking out 57...second on the team in starts and ERA...has career-high's in innings pitched, strikeouts, ERA and wins as a senior.
Adam Hill: Has played in 88 games, making 56 starts...missed entire junior season due to preseason knee injury...has played four infield positions, except catcher...fielding .989 at first base as a senior...has carreer high for hits and RBIs as a senior.
Victor Iacobbo: Walk-on infielder from Colorado Springs has appeared in three games in his career...fielding a perfect 1.000 in the field...has appeared in two games so far this season, scoring a run against Northern Colorado.
Mike Kazakoff: Has pitched in 58 games...has become Air Force's top reliever as a senior, leading the MW with 27 appearances...has two saves on the season...appeared in 11 consecutive games for the Falcons, setting a school record.
Blair Roberts: Has appeared in 186 games, starting 174...has 190 hits and 120 runs...second all-time at the Academy with 23 sac bunts...also in the Academy Top 10 in at bats (667) and hit by pitches (24)...lone four-year starter in the field.
Seniors Get Assignments
All six Air Force baseball seniors have received their first assignments as 2nd. Lieutenants upon graduation in June.
Evan Abrecht - Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilot, Randolph AFB, Texas.
Michael Ceci - Grad. school, University of Maryland, then pilot training.
Adam Hill - Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas.
Victor Iacobbo - Civil Engineering, Barksdale AFB, La.
Mike Kazakoff - Financial Management, Davis Monthan, AFB, Ariz.
Blair Roberts - Financial Management, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
Bertelson Earns MW Pitcher of the Week
Ben Bertelson was named Mountain West Conference Pitcher of the Week for games played April 30-May 6. Bertelson, a junior from Midland, Texas, tossed a complete-game shutout against Kansas on Saturday with the Falcons winning, 3-0. The left-hander struck out eight batters and scattered eight hits, with just one going for extra bases. It was Air Force's first road victory of the season and the Falcons' first win over a Big 12 opponent since 2001. For his efforts, Bertelson was named to the Jayhawk Classic All-Tournament Team.
Most MW Wins Since 2002
Air Force's five Mountain West Conference wins are the most by a Falcon baseball team since 2002, when the program won 14 games. Air Force had managed just four conference wins three times in the past nine years.
Air Force is a different team at home and neutral sites, compared to playing on the road. The Falcons have a winning record at home, going 8-4 at Falcon Field and are 4-5 in neutral-site games, for a 12-9 combined record. Conversely, Air Force is 1-24 on the road.
Falcons Get First True Road Win
Air Force is 1-24 on the road this season. After dropping 24 on the road to start the season, the Falcons won its first true road game on May 5 at Kansas.
Kazakoff Pitches in 11 Straight
Senior RHP Mike Kazakoff pitched in 11 consecutive games for Air Force, having the streak snapped in the Falcons' last game vs. Kansas. It is a school record for most consecutive games pitched at AFA. Kazakoff notched the first two saves of his career two weeks ago against San Diego State and the first two of the season for the Falcons this year. Kazakoff is tied for first in the Mountain West with 27 appearances. He is seven appearances shy of the school record of 34.
Defense On Record Pace
Air Force is currently fielding .962 on the season, that percentage is currently on record pace to surpass the school record of .960 set by last year's team. Air Force's top three fielding seasons have come in the last three years.
Catchers Tough To Run On
Air Force leads the Mountain West with 27 runners thrown out attempting to steal. As a team, the Falcons have thrown out 54 percent of attempted base stealers. Junior Garrett Custons leads the conference with 18 runners thrown out and has thrown out 66.7 percent of attempted base stealers.
Pitching Staff Having Another Banner Year
12 weeks in, the Air Force pitching staff is on its way to another historic season. The Falcons currently post a 5.40 ERA. That total is 0.03 runs a game lowe after 46 games compared to last year and 5.83 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Best In Years
Air Force starting pitchers having one of its best seasons decades. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 5.00 ERA, having struck out 217 in 273.2 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 5.26 ERA and just two years ago had a 11.97 ERA.
First Win Over Big 12 School Since 2001
Air Force's win over Kansas on May 5 was Air Force's first win over a Big 12 Conference school since the 2001 season. The Falcons swept Iowa State in a three-game set in 2001.
Falcons Nearing Sac Bunt Record
Air Force leads the Mountain West with 42 sac bunts. They are two sac bunts shy of tying the school record of 44 set in 2010. Air Force has three players in the top 10 for sac bunts in the conference. Noah Pierce leads the team with seven sac bunts, which is a new Falcon freshman record.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 38 of 46 games and four or more rookies in 15 games.
The Falcons close out the 2012 regular season with a three-game set at New Mexico, May 17-19.