May 8, 2013
at San Diego State Aztecs - Friday, May 10 - 6 pm PST
at San Diego State - Saturday, May 11 - 1 pm
at San Diego State - Sunday, May 12 - 1 pm
Series at Tony Gwynn Stadium - San Diego, Calif.
- Livestats available through goairforcefalcons.com
- Live web webcast (video) at goaztecs.com
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
- Saturday's game will be televised live on CBS Sports Network.
- Rich Cellini & Paul LoDuca will call the game.
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 46-108 in his third year.
San Diego State: Tony Gwynn (San Diego State) is 314-335 in his 11th year at SDSU.
Air Force - 13-33, 5-19
SDSU - 24-24, 13-12
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 0-3 at #16 New Mexico last weekend.
SDSU - Went 1-2 at Nevada over the weekend and defeated UC Riverside on Tuesday.
SDSU leads 87-20
Air Force went 1-2 hosting SDSU April 12-14.
Air Force Travels To San Diego State
Air Force baseball travels to San Diego State this weekend, May 10-12. Saturday's game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network.
Air Force-San Diego State Game To Be Televised
CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) has selected to broadcast one Mountain West baseball contest in May and it will be the Air Force at San Diego State baseball showdown on May 11 at 1 p.m. PT.
Series History vs. San Diego State
- Air Force and San Diego State have played each other 107 times.
- The Aztecs lead the series 87-20.
- The two teams first met on April 1, 1961, where the Aztecs won, 6-3.
- Air Force has lost its last 28 games in San Diego (counting two forfeits). The Falcons last win in San Diego was March 16, 2002 (7-6).
- San Diego State is 24-24, 13-12 on the season.
- The Aztecs are batting .256, have a 3.80 ERA and are fielding .975.
- C Jake Romanski leads the team in hitting, batting .368 with 15 RBIs.
- Closer Bubba Derby (3-1, 3.06) leads the team in pitching with seven saves.
- Air Force has three players on its roster from California.
Sr. RHP Todd Del Toro - Mission Viejo (JSerra Catholic)
Fr. OF Drew Krassny - Encinitas (La Costa Canyon HS)
Fr. RHP Steven Trojan - Mission Viejo (Capistrano Valley HS)
First Series vs. San Diego State
The Falcons went 1-2 vs. San Diego State in its first meeting April 12-14 at the Academy. The Aztecs won game one 4-2 and the Falcons won game two 10-9. SDSU won game three 11-0.
- The Falcons batted .250, had a 6.33 ERA and fielded .932 in the series.
- OF David Baska and OF David Thomas both batted .375 over the weekend to lead the Falcons.
- Baska, Tyler Saleck and Brian Sicher (first-career) hit homers for the Falcons.
- RHP Cameron White pitched his sixth eight-plus outing of the season.
- RHP Bo Wilson earned his first-career win.
- RHP Jack Hourin pitched in all three games.
Recapping New Mexico Series
The Falcons went 0-3 at then-#17 New Mexico. Air Force lost 11-10, 17-1 and 14-7. The Falcons batted .290, had a 14.25 ERA and fielded .962 in the series.
- Seth Kline batted .500 (6-for-12) with four RBIs.
- Garrett Custons batted .455 (5-for-11) with four doubles and six runs scored.
- Cameron White pitched 6.1 innings Friday.
- Jack Hourin pitched in relief in two games.
Air Force has played 33 road/neutral games to just 13 home games so far in 2013. The Falcons are hitting .072 points higher and fielding .013 percent better at home.
Air Force is 11-10 in home and neutral site games. Conversely, the Falcons are just 2-23 in true road games.
Custons Sets Doubles Record
Senior C/OF Garrett Custons set the school record for doubles in Sunday's game at New Mexico. With his two doubles, Custons has 76 career doubles, surpassing the previous record of 74, held by Mike Thiessen. Thiessen is currently co-offensive coordinator of the Air Force football team.
Falcons Amongst NCAA Top 10
Senior C/OF Garrett Custons and junior RHP Cameron White rank in the NCAA Top 10 in a couple categories. Custons, who ranks second in the Mountain West with 21 doubles, ranks seventh in the nation in doubles. White ranks ninth in the nation with 0.84 walks per nine innings. White is 11th in the nation with a 7.25 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
All Div. I Slate
Air Force's 2013 schedule is entirely vs. Div. I baseball teams for only the third time ever in the programs' 55 year history. The other seasons were 2005 and 2011.
The Air Force pitching staff has been significantly improved in the last three seasons. The Falcons are reaching several milestones for far this season, and in the past three.
- 2.95 Walks allowed per game, which is currently the lowest mark in program history.
- Four straight 300 strikeouts seasons, the first time in school history.
- On pace for 357 K's, which would be second all-time.
- 7.76 ERA in Mountain West play is currently the second-lowest ever.
Strong Starting Pitching
Air Force is getting steady production out of its starting pitching so far in 2013. The Falcon starters have logged at least five innings in 34 of 46 games this season. The starters have allowed three-or-fewer earned runs in 20 games.
Bertelson Most K's since 2002
Senior LHP Ben Bertelson leads the team and ranks third in the conference iwth 76 strikeouts. He is one strikeout shy of cracking the school's top 10 list. He has the most strikeouts in a season since Erik Fisher's 88 in 2002.
The Falcon bullpen has proven to be solid for the Falcons also this season. The bullpen has an ERA of 6.84. Last year, the bullpen ERA was 7.47.
Custons Enters Falcon Record Books
Senior catcher/outfielder Garrett Custons is putting the finishing touches on one of the best careers in Academy history. Custons is currently in the Air Force Top 10 list in nine categories.
The Falcons close out the 2013 regular season with a three-game set May 16-18, hosting UNLV.