May 1, 2008
Series Notes in PDF Format
Air Force (16-25, 2-12) vs. San Diego State (25-21, 11-7)
vs. San Diego State - Friday, May 2 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - 2 p.m. MST
vs. San Diego State - Saturday, May 3 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - 1 p.m. MST
vs. San Diego State - Sunday, May 4 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - Noon MST
- Radio available at www.goaztecs.com.
- Live stats available at www.goairforcefalcons.com
AF: Mike Hutcheon (Wayne State (Neb.), 1984) is 48-200 in his 5th year at Air Force and 288-340 in his 13th year as a head coach.
San Diego State: Tony Gwynn (San Diego State) is 167-183 in his 6th year at San Diego State.
SDSU leads the series 71-15.
Air Force lost four games in San Diego, April 20-23, 2007.
AF: Two game winning streak.
SDSU: Four game losing streak.
Falcons Hosts San Diego State In MWC Series
The Air Force Falcon baseball team (16-25, 2-12) plays host to San Diego State (15-24, 5-7) for a three-game Mountain West Conference series, Fri.-Sun., May 2-4, at Falcon Field. Live internet radio and stats will be available for the series.
Noting the Falcons
- Air Force is 16-25 on the season. The Falcons went 2-1 over the weekend taking the series with BYU and defeated Colorado Christian 13-4, on Tuesday.
- Air Force is batting .273 on the season, has a pitching staff earned run average of 8.58 and is fielding .956.
- Sophomore 1B/DH Matt Alexander leads the Falcons with a .321 batting average to go with seven home runs and 40 RBIs.
- Sophomore reliever Michael Ruvolo leads the pitching staff with a 5-3 record, 6.28 ERA and four saves in 38.2 innings of work.
Scouting San Diego State
- San Diego State is 25-21 on the season and 11-7 in conference play after going 1-2 over the weekend against TCU.
- Major League Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn is the head coach of the Aztecs. Gwynn joined the Hall last summer after an MLB career with the San Diego Padres, where he accumulated 3,141 hits and a .338 batting average in 20 years as a Padre.
- The Aztecs are led offensively by senior shortstop Troy Hanzawa, who is batting .367 with 46 runs and 42 RBIs.
- Sophomore righthander Stephen Strasburg (6-1, 1.63) leads the staff with 99 K's in 66.1 innings pitched.
- SDSU is batting .293, fielding .967 and has a staff ERA of 5.23.
- Air Force and San Diego State have played each other 86 times.
- The Aztecs lead the series 71-15.
- San Diego State has won 22 straight games in the series.
- Air Force's last win over San Diego State came on April 26, 2003, a 3-0 win at the Academy.
- The two teams first met on April 1, 1961, where the Aztecs won, 6-3.
(Game-by-game breakdown of series on page 6).
- Air Force has nine players on its roster from California, the most of any state.
- Senior outfielder Jake Allen is a San Diego native and attended Poway, HS, the same high school as Tony Gwynn Jr., a former SDSU outfielder and son of Aztec head coach Tony Gwynn.
Noting AFA's Last Four Games
- Air Force is 3-1 in its last four games, taking 2-of-3 against BYU and defeating Colorado Christain, 14-3 on Tuesday.
-The Falcons won all thre games in which they scored over 10 runs.
-Addison Gentry's walk-off grand slam lifted the Falcons to a 13-9 win vs. BYU last Thursday.
-The Falcons dropped Friday's game 22-0.
-AFA rallied with three runs in the ninth to defeat BYU, 11-10 on Saturday. Nathan Carter hit a two-run triple to tie the game and then K.J. Randhawa singled to center to score Carter for the game winner.
-The series win was Air Force's first in MWC play since taking 2-of-3 against Utah in 2005.
-The Falcons hit four homers in 13-4 win over Colorado Christian on Tuesday.
-Chay Derbigny hit two homers and tripled, going 4-for-5 with 5 RBIs in the game.
-Matt Alexander and Addison Gentry also homered vs. CCU.
-Daniel Walker hit his 7th triple of the season vs. CCU.
Most Wins Since 2002
Air Force enters the SDSU series with 16 wins, the most in a season so far in the Mike Hutcheon era and most since the 2002 team won 27 games. Ten wins by the 2006 team was the previous high under Hutcheon's tenure.
Batting .330 In Last 10 Games
Air Force enters the weekend with a .273 team batting average, but is hitting .330 over its last 10 games. Air Force has raised it's team average 21 points over that span from a .252 mark after its first 30 games. Josh Meents has batted .423 and Chay Derbigny .412 over that 10 game span. Air Force is 5-5 in their last 10 games and went 4-0 when they reached double-digits in scoring.
Falcons Over .500 In Non-Conference Play
Air Force finished its 2008 non-conference record over .500, going 14-13. It was the first time since 2001, when they went 15-12, that the Falcons had a winning non-conference record.
The Falcons host Utah for a four-game MWC set May 9-11 at the Academy.