April 26, 2012
SDSU Series Notes in PDF
Air Force (10-29, 3-12) vs. San Diego State (19-23, 8-7)
Friday, April 27 (3 p.m.)
Saturday, April 28 (1 p.m.)
Sunday, April 29 (12 p.m.)
Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo.
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 29-65 in his second year.
SDSU: Tony Gwynn (SDSU) is 283-300 in his 10th year at SDSU.
Last Time Out:
AF - Went 0-3 at UNLV over the weekend and split two games vs. Northern Colorado mid-week.
SDSU - Went 1-2 vs. TCU last weekend.
SDSU leads, 87-17
- SDSU swept three-game series in San Diego, March 30-April 1
Falcons Host San Diego State
Air Force baseball hosts San Diego State this weekend, April 27-29. Live stats will be available and admission is free for all Falcon baseball home games.
Scouting San Diego State
San Diego State is 19-23 on the season after going 1-2 vs. TCU last weekend.
- The Aztecs are batting .280, have an ERA of 5.11 and are fielding .967.
- Sr. Chris Wilson is SDSU's top hitter, batting .274 with six homers and 22 RBIs.
- Fr. RHP Michael Cederoth (2-2, 4.41), So. RHP Philip Walby (0-3, 3.22) and Jr. RHP Ryan Doran (3-3, 4.05) are slated to start vs. Air Force.
Series History vs. SDSU
- Air Force and San Diego State have played each other 104 times.
- The Aztecs lead the series 87-17.
- San Diego State had won 35 straight games in the series until the Falcons won the last two games last year.
- The two teams first met on April 1, 1961, where the Aztecs won, 6-3.
First Meeting vs. SDSU
- Air Force went 0-3 vs. San Diego State March 30-April 1 in San Diego. The Falcons lost 18-13 Friday, 6-2 Saturday and 5-3 Sunday.
- The Falcons batted .291, fielded .910 and had an ERA of 3.75.
- Air Force allowed 29 runs, but just 10 were earned.
- Jr. RHP Ben Bertelson struck out 13 on Saturday, the most by a Falcon pitcher since 1983 and the most ever in conference play.
- Bertelson and Sr. RHP Evan Abrecht tossed back-to-back complete games.
- Fr. 3B Noah Pierce was Air Force's top hitter, batting .462 (6-for-13). Pierce had four hits in the first game.
- Fr. OF David Thomas hit a pair of triples Sunday.
- Jr. C/OF Garrett Custons scored four runs on Friday.
- Sr. 2B Blair Roberts drew three walks on Saturday.
- Jr. CF Alex Bast had five RBIs Friday.
- Cameron White won game one, pitching seven innings and striking out five.
- Evan Abrecht pitched eight innings and struck out a season-high nine batters in the win Sunday.
Recapping UNLV Series
- Air Force went 0-3 at UNLV over the weekend. The Falcons lost 4-1 on Friday, 7-6 Saturday and 5-4 Sunday.
- The Falcons batted .253, had an ERA of 5.92 and fielded .982 vs. UNLV.
- Jake Schomaker was Air Force's top hitter, batting .455 (5-for-11).
- Evan Abrecht struck out seven in 7.1 innings pitched.
- Cameron White pitched 7.0 innings, striking out five.
- Mike Kazakoff pitched in all three games.
Recapping Northern Colorado Series
- Air Force split its two-game series with Northern Colorado. The Falcons won 10-9 in 11 innings at the Academy Tuesday and lost 7-6 in Greeley Wednesday.
- On Tuesday, a pair of home runs tied up game in 9th after UNC led 9-6. Sophomore Shaun Lovett's first-caeer hit led to the go-ahead run in the 11th inning.
- Seth Kline went 4-for-6 with a home run.
- David Thomas hit the game-tying two run homer in the ninth.
- Jack Hourin picked up the win with three scoreless innings in relief.
- Starting pitcher David Baska did not allow a run in four innings pitched.
- AFA had a season-high 21 hits.
- In game two, the Falcons had 15 hits.
- Seth Kline, Alex Bast and Brian Sicher had three hits each.
Air Force is a different team at home and neutral sites, compared to playing on the road. The Falcons have a winning record at home and in neutral-site games, going 6-3 at Falcon Field and 4-3 in neutral-site games, for a 10-6 combined record. Conversely, Air Force is 0-23 on the road.
Looking for First True Road Win
Air Force is 0-23 on the road this season. The Falcons are 4-3 in neutral-site games. Last year, Air Force was 3-18 on the road.
Custons Out Since TCU Series
Air Force junior catcher/outfielder Garrett Custons has been inactive since the last game of the TCU series on April 15. Custons was injured on a foul-tip while catching in the TCU series. Custons is Air Force's top hitter with a .346 batting average to go with four homers and 30 runs scored.
Defense On Record Pace
Air Force is currently fielding .960 on the season, that percentage is currently tied for the best in school history with last year's team. Air Force has fielded .986 over its last 11 games, committing no more than one error in a any of those games. Air Force's top three fielding seasons have come in the last three years.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Ten weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 5.30 ERA. That total is 0.15 runs a game lower after 39 games compared to last year and 5.56 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its one of its best starts in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 4.88 ERA, having struck out 181 in 225.0 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 5.12 ERA and just two years ago had a 11.41 ERA.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 35 of 39 games and four or more rookies in 15 games.
The Falcons travel to Lawrence, Kan., to play Missouri State and host Kansas, May 4-5. The Falcons play both Missouri State and Kansas both days for a total of four games.