April 19, 2012
Friday, April 20 (6 p.m. PST)
Saturday, April 21 (2 p.m.)
Sunday, April 22 (1 p.m.)
Earl E. Wilson Stadium - Las Vegas, Nev.
Live Audio & Video Broadcast:
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 28-61 in his second year.
UNLV: Tim Chambers (Southern Utah, 1989) is 50-46 in his second year at UNLV.
Last Time Out:
AF - Went 0-3 at TCU over the weekend and defeated Regis University 8-1 on Tuesday.
UNLV - Went 3-1 at home vs. Nebraska-Omaha last weekend and 0-2 vs. UC Riverside earlier this week.
UNLV leads, 71-22
- Air Force went 2-1 vs. UNLV March 23-25, at the Academy.
Falcons Travel To UNLV
Air Force baseball travels to UNLV this weekend, Fri.-Sun., April 20-22 in Las Vegas. Live stats and video will be available for the series.
Looking for First True Road Win
Air Force is 0-19 on the road this season. The Falcons are 4-3 in neutral-site games. Last year, Air Force was 3-18 on the road.
UNLV is 17-21 on the season after going 3-1 vs. Nebraska-Omaha over the weekend and dropping a pair of mid-week games at UC Riverside.
- The Rebels are batting .302, have an ERA of 4.31 and are fielding .965.
- Jr. OF Brandon Bayardi is UNLV's top hitter, batting .382 with six homers and 47 RBIs.
- Fr. LHP Zak Qualls (4-2, 3.48) and Fr. RHP Erick Fedde (3-3, 2.86) are slated to pitch vs. AFA.
Series History vs. UNLV
- Air Force and UNLV have played each other 93 times.
- The Rebels lead the series 71-22.
- The two teams first met on March 14, 1970, where the Falcons defeated the Rebels, 2-1.
(Game-by-game breakdown of series on page 7).
First Meeting vs. UNLV
- Air Force went 2-1 vs. UNLV earlier this season at the Academy. The Falcons won game one, 10-7, lost game two 15-4, and won game three 12-5.
- The Falcons batted .355, fielded .975 and had an ERA of 8.33.
- Air Force had season-high's for hits (16) and runs in game three of the series.
- Five Falcons batted .400 or better in the series.
- Fr. DH Casey Gibson led the Falcons in hitting, batting .571 (4-for-7) and hit his first-career homer.
- Garrett Custon batted .538 with seven hits and six runs scored.
- Noah Pierce had 2 hits in all 3 games and batted .462.
- Alex Bast batted .500 (6-for-12).
- Seth Kline batted .455 (6-for-13) with a homer and seven RBIs.
- Cameron White won game one, pitching seven innings and striking out five.
- Evan Abrecht pitched eight innings and struck out a season-high nine batters in the win Sunday.
Recapping TCU Series
- Air Force went 0-3 vs. TCU over the weekend. The Falcons lost 5-0 on Friday, 6-1 Saturday and 6-2 Sunday.
- The Falcons batted .196, had an ERA of 5.13 and fielded .990 vs. TCU.
- Evan Abrecht tossed his third straight complete game on Sunday.
- Jake Schomaker was Air Force's top hitter, batting .286 (2-for-7).
- The Falcons had four relievers that did not allow a run in the series.
- Todd Del Toro did not allow a run in 4.2 innings of relief.
- The Falcons committed just one error in 73 chances.
Recapping Regis Game
- Air Force downed Regis 8-1 Tuesday.
- The Falcons have now won three in a row at home.
- Alex Bast went 4-for-5 with two triples.
- Jake Schomaker also tripled and drove in a career-high three runs.
- Michael Ceci struck out a career-high six batters in six innings pitched for the win.
- David Baska, Ben Yokley and Alex Baker pitched scoreless innings of relief to close out the game.
Injured Falcons Return
Air Force has gotten two key players back recently who were out due to injury. Junior Matt Thorne missed the first 26 games of the season recovering from a chest injury suffered during the preseason and returned for the New Mexico series. Sophomore Seth Kline returned to play vs. Northern Colorado after missing four games due to a face injury suffered on a bang-bang play at first base vs. San Diego State.
Custons Out for UNLV Series
Air Force junior catcher/outfielder Garrett Custons will be inactive for the UNLV series due to injury. Custons was injured on a foul-tip while catching in the TCU series. Custons is Air Force's top hitter with a .346 batting average to go with four homers and 30 runs scored.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Nine weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 5.13 ERA. That total is 0.02 runs a game lower after 34 games compared to last year and 5.63 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its one of its best starts in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 4.80 ERA, having struck out 160 in 198.2 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 4.43 ERA and just two years ago had a 11.49 ERA.
Weekend Rotation Very Strong
Air Force's weekend rotation of So. RHP Cameron White, Jr. LHP Ben Bertelson and Sr. RHP Evan Abrecht is one of the best weekend rotations at Air Force in recent memory. Abrecht ranks in the MW top 10 in innings pitched, ERA and strikeouts. White and Bertelson are in the top 10 in strikeouts. The trio has pitched seven complete games over 25 starts.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 30 of 34 games and four or more rookies in 13 games.
The Falcons play a home-and-home series with Northern Colorado April 24-25. On Tuesday the 24th, the Falcons host UNC. On Wednesday, the 25th, the Falcons head up to Greely. Both games start at 3 p.m.