April 18, 2013
at Fresno State Bulldogs (DH) - Friday, April 19 - 3 pm PST
at Fresno State (DH) - Saturday, April 20 - 2 pm
at Fresno State - Sunday, April 21 - 1 pm
Series at Beiden Field - Fresno, Calif.
***Air Force will be home team for the opening games of both doubleheaders***
***Both doubleheaders will be a seven-inning game, followed by a nine-inning game***
- Links to livestats available through goairforcefalcons.com
- Live webstream at goBulldogs.com (subscription fee required)
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 43-98 in his third year.
Fresno State: Mike Batesole (Cal State Fullerton, 1990) is 368-288 in his 11th year at FSU and is 623-445-1 in his 18th year overall.
Air Force - 10-23, 4-9
Fresno State - 8-24, 3-10
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 1-2 hosting San Diego State last weekend.
Fresno State - Went 0-3 at New Mexico last weekend.
FSU leads 4-3
Air Force Travels To Fresno State
Air Force baseball travels to Fresno State for a five-game series this weekend, April 19-21. The Falcons and Bulldogs will play back-to-back doubleheaders and a single game Sunday. Live stats and live webcast will be available for all five games.
Series History vs. Fresno State
- Air Force is 3-4 all-time vs. Fresno State.
- The Falcons and Bulldogs were WAC Conference rivals from 1997-99.
Scouting Fresno State
- Fresno State is 8-24, 3-10 on the season.
- The Bulldogs are batting .255, have a 5.60 ERA and are fielding .959.
- OF Aaron Judge leads Fresno State in batting, with a .336 average to go with five homers and 18 RBIs.
- Jordan Brink (2-1, 2.76) leads the Bulldogs in pitching, with 29 strikeouts in 29.1 innings pitched.
Fresno State Connections
- Air Force pitching coach Tim Dixon and Fresno State head coach Mike Batesole both have ties to Cal State Fullerton. Dixon played for the 1995 National Championship team, going 13-0 as a starting pitcher. Batesole played Collegiately at Oral Roberts but earned his Bachelor's and Master's degrees at CSUF.
- Air Force has three players on its roster from California.
Sr. RHP Todd Del Toro - Mission Viejo (JSerra Catholic)
Fr. OF Drew Krassny - Encinitas (La Costa Canyon HS)
Fr. RHP Steven Trojan - Mission Viejo (Capistrano Valley HS)
With its April 16 game getting cancelled, Air Force has now had five games affected by weather so far this season, three coming in the last two weeks. Three of those five games will not be rescheduled.
Recapping San Diego State Series
The Falcons went 1-2 over the weekend vs. San Diego State. The Aztecs won game one 4-2 and the Falcons won game two 10-9. SDSU won game three 11-0.
- The Falcons batted .250, had a 6.33 ERA and fielded .932 in the series.
- OF David Baska and OF David Thomas both batted .375 over the weekend to lead the Falcons.
- Baska, Tyler Saleck and Brian Sicher (first-career) hit homers for the Falcons.
- RHP Cameron White pitched his sixth eight-plus outing of the season.
- RHP Bo Wilson earned his first-career win.
- RHP Jack Hourin pitched in all three games.
Air Force-San Diego State Game To Be Televised
CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) has selected to broadcast one Mountain West baseball contest in May and it will be the Air Force at San Diego State baseball showdown on May 11 at 1 p.m. PT.
Air Force has 10 one-run losses on the season, four by walk-off. The Falcons are 3-10 in one-run games so far this season and were 4-6 last year.
Air Force has played 24 road games to just nine home games so far in 2013. The Falcons are hitting .073 points higher and fielding .004 percent better at home. The Falcons play seven of their final 19 games at home.
Air Force is 8-7 in home and netural site games. Conversely, the Falcons are just 1-14 in true road games.
Trojan Impressive As a Freshman
Freshman RHP Steven Trojan has pitched effectively for the Falcons so far in his rookie campaign. The Mission Viejo, Calif. native leads the Falcons with a 3-3 record and 3.70 ERA. His .214 opponents batting average is currently the fourth-lowest mark in the Mountain West. Trojan has allowed just 39 hits in 48.2 innings pitched.
Pitching Having a Solid Year
The Falcon pitching staff having a solid season so far in 2013. Air Force currently have a staff ERA of 5.38 and rank third in the conference with 227 strikeouts. The Falcons also boast three of the top10 pitchers in the conference in strikeouts.
Stellar Starting Pitching
Air Force is getting steady production out of its starting pitching so far in 2013. The Falcon starters have logged at least five innings in 27 of 33 games this season. The starters have allowed three-or-fewer earned runs in 17 games
The Falcon bullpen has proven to be solid for the Falcons also this season. The bullpen has an ERA of 6.37. Last year, the bullpen ERA was 7.47.
Custons Enters Falcon Record Books
Senior catcher/outfielder Garrett Custons is starting to enter several of the Air Force top 10 lists. With his first hit of the season, the Sarasota, Fla., native got to 200 career hits and is currently at 237. Custons is currently in the Air Force Top 10 list in six offensive categories.
The Falcons travel to Northern Colorado on April 24 then host Nevada, April 26-28.