April 18, 2011
Complete Release in PDF Format
Air Force (14-22, 0-7) vs. Northern Colorado (7-26)/San Diego State (11-25, 5-7)
vs. Northern Colorado
Tuesday, April 19 (3 p.m.)
Falcon Field - USAFA
vs. San Diego State
Thursday, April 21 (2 p.m.)
Friday, April 22 (2 p.m.)
Sunday, April 23 (12 p.m.)
Falcon Field - USAFA
gametracker for all four games.
AF: Maj. Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) First year as a head coach.
UNC: Carl Iwasaki (UNC, 1985) is in his first year at UNC and is 107-153 in his seventh year overall.
SDSU: Tony Gwynn (San Diego State) is 243-256 in his ninth year.
Last Time Out:
AF - Went 1-3 at Sacramento State last weekend.
UNC - Went 2-2 at Houston Baptist last weekend.
SDSU - Swept in three game set vs. #9 TCU last weekend.
vs. UNC: Northern Colorado leads, 94-56
vs. SDSU: SDSU leads, 83-15
- AF downed UNC 7-5 last Tuesday.
- SDSU swept three-game series in San Diego last year.
Falcons Host Northern Colorado and San Diego State
After playing 14 of its last 15 games on the road, the Air Force baseball team hosts four home games this week. The Falcons take on Northern Colorado on Tuesday, April 19, and then a three-game set against San Diego State, Thurs.-Sat., April 21-23. Live stats will be available for all four games.
Scouting Northern Colorado
Northern Colorado is 7-26 on the season after splitting a four game set at Houston Baptist last weekend.
- Bears are batting .269, have an ERA of 7.61 and are fielding .961.
- Sr. 2B T.J. Berge leads the team in hitting, batting .348 with26 runs and 22 RBIs.
- Sr. RHP Chris Carlberg (1-2, 9.97) is slated to pitch vs. AF.
Series History vs. UNC
- Air Force and Northern Colorado have played each other 148 times.
- Air Force is 56-94 all time against Northern Colorado.
- The two teams first met on March 22, 1957 where the Bears of Colorado State College defeated the Falcons, 13-3.
Air Force-UNC Connections
Air Force So. infielder Blair Roberts and Northern Colorado Fr. RHP Michael Wilkes are Parker, Colo., natives and attended Chaparral HS.
Scouting San Diego State
San Diego State is 11-25 on the season getting swept by #12 TCU last weekend.
- The Aztecs are batting .243, have an ERA of 5.22 and are fielding .959.
- Jr. OF Brandon Meredith is SDSU's top hitter, batting .265 with 28 runs and 21 RBIs.
- So. RHP Corey Black (1-3, 4.50) , Fr. LHP Cole Swanson (2-1, 3.00) and So. RHP Ethan Miller (2-3, 6.96) started last week vs. TCU.
Series History vs. SDSU
- Air Force and San Diego State have played each other 98 times.
- The Aztecs lead the series 83-15.
- San Diego State has won 34 straight games in the series.
- Air Force's last win over San Diego State came on April 26, 2003, a 3-0 win at the Academy.
- The two teams first met on April 1, 1961, where the Aztecs won, 6-3.
Last Year vs. SDSU
- The Falcons went 0-6 in two three-game sets vs. San Diego State.
- The Falcons batted .307, had a 12.57 ERA and fielded .947 vs. SDSU.
- Alex Bast is AFA's top returning hitter vs. SDSU, batting .318 (7-for-22) last year.
- Sean Carley and Kincaid Koehler started twice last year vs. SDSU.
- Air Force has six players on its roster from California, the third most of any state.
Recapping Sacramento State Series
- The Falcons went 1-3 at Sacramento State as three games were decided by one run. The Falcons dropped game one 2-1. On Saturday, AFA lost 3-2 and 9-6 in the doubleheader before rallying to win on Sunday 8-7.
- The Falcons batted .252, had a 5.46 ERA and fielded .978.
- Alex Bast led the Falcons offensively, batting .625 (10-for-16) with five runs and three extra base hits.
- Evan Abrecht pitched 8.1 innings in a tough-luck loss Friday.
Falcons Recently Helped Host Event At Coors Field For Military Families
In conjunction with the Colorado Rockies, the United States Air Force Academy Baseball Team help host "Joining Forces with the Rockies: Celebrating Military Families" at Coors Field this Wednesday evening, April 13. The event allowed families from military bases around Colorado to take part in a baseball clinic and social at Coors Field, all while being honored for their service to the country and the sacrifices they make. The families enjoyed a special viewing of the Rockies at Mets game on the Rockies jumbo screens. Kids were allowed to take part in the interactive features on Coors Field's concourse.
As part of the event, United States First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden spoke to the families to thank and honor them for their service and sacrifice. Both Mrs. Obama and Dr. Biden also participated in the activities with the families. Additionally, other local government and military personnel attended the event to provide support and give their thanks.
The clinic was run by Colorado Rockies staff members and the USAFA Baseball Team. The event ran from 6:00-9:00 p.m.
During the event, national multi-platinum recording artist Jessica Simpson sang God Bless America.
Falcons Off To Best Start Since 2002
Air Force baseball is enjoying its best season since 2002. The Falcons were over .500 after 20 games (at 11-10) for the first time since 2002, when the team went 27-28.
- Air Force swept a weekend series vs. Portland for the first time since 2003.
- Air Force had a four-game winning streak for the first time since 2002.
- Air Force got to 11 wins 20 games faster than it did in 2010.
- Air Force matched its 2010 win total of 13 games 23 games quicker in 2011.
Lowest Team ERA Since 1979
All 11 returning pitchers that have pitched in 2011, have improved upon their previous season's ERA. AFA's ERA is 5.28 after 36 games, an improvement of over five fewer runs per game from the 10.94 ERA after 36 games in 2010. That ERA is currently the lowest at the Academy since the 1979 team's 4.32 ERA.
Abrecht With Fastest Start By AF Pitcher Since 1995
Junior right-hander Evan Abrecht got off to a hot start, winning his first five outings. Abrecht is the first pitcher to start the season 5-0 in his first five starts at Air Force since Dave Lyons won nine straight to start the 1995 season. Abrecht is 5-4 on the season and is second on the team with 36 strikeouts in 55 innings and is second with a 5.73 ERA.
Carley Lowest ERA Since 1982
Sophomore right-hander Sean Carley's 3.26 earned-run average is lowest ERA by a starter at Air Force since Mike Schardt posted a 2.73 ERA in 1982. Carley leads the Falcons with 52 strikeouts in 60.2 innings pitched.
Colangelo Closing Games For Falcons
Sophomore Stephen Colangelo is cementing his role as Air Force's closer. The right-hander sports a 1.93 ERA to go with five saves in 18 appearances. Colangelo leads the MWC in appearances and games finished (17) and is second in saves.
Starting Pitching Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 4.93 ERA, having struck out 137 in 193.1 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 11.18 ERA and had struck out 106 in 153 innings.
Relievers Off To Good Start As Well
The Air Force relief pitching corps has shown improvement as a group from 2010. Four relievers have ERAs below 4.26 and three below 1.93.
Falcons On Pace To Set Fielding Record
Air Force is fielding .962 so far this season. That is currently the highest fielding percentage in school history. The Falcons set a school record last season with a .958 fielding percentage.
Falcons Solid At Home
Air Force is 6-1 at home games this year, which is on pace for its best home season since going 15-2 at home in 1986. Conversely, Air Force is 2-13 on the road. The Falcons are 6-8 in neutral-site games.
Seniors Get Assignments
All five Air Force basball seniors have received their first assignments upon graduation in June.
Nathan Carter - Pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
Parker Mayo - Pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
Jon McMahon - UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) Pilot training, Randolf AFB, Texas.
Brad Pingel - Space & Missiles, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
Vai Schierholtz - Acquisitions - Los Angeles, AFB, Calif.
First Win Over Pac 10 School Since 1990
Air Force's 16-10 win over Washington was its first win over a Pac-10 conference school since 1990, a span of 21 years. The last team Air Force defeated from the Pac was none other than Washington at the Seattle Kingdome.
Coach Kaz In First Year As Head Coach
Maj. Mike Kazlausky makes his head coaching debut for the Falcons vs. Missouri State. Coach "Kaz" is the first Academy grad/player to be the head coach at Air Force. Kazlausky, a 1991 grad, is Air Force baseball's first military coach since Capt. Jim Hanley in 1988.
Quick Recap of 2010
Air Force went 13-42 overall in 2010. The Falcons were 3-20 in Mountain West Conference play for a sixth place record.
Falcons With MLB Ties
Air Force features a pair of seniors that have family ties to Major League Baseball. Seniors Nathan Carter and Vai Schierholtz have older brothers on MLB rosters. Carter's brother, Chris, was an outfielder for the New York Mets last year and is now with the Tampa Bay Rays. Schierholtz's brother, Nate, is an outfielder for the 2010 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants. Carter and Schierholtz both hail from the East Bay region of Northern California and attended high schools just 10 miles apart from each other (Carter - De La Salle HS in Concord and Schierholtz - San Ramon Valley HS in Danville).
All Div. I Slate
Air Force's 2011 schedule is entirely vs. Div. I baseball teams for only the second time ever in the programs' 54 year history. The other season was 2005.
Air Force features nine pitchers that stand 6-foot-3 or taller, including six that are at least 6-foot-4. Junior right-hander Vince Capra is Air Force's tallest player at 6-foot-6.
Conference Realignment On the Horizon
Air Force will play final conference games vs. Utah and BYU in 2011. Utah will join the Pac 10 (to become the Pac 12) and BYU will join the West Coast Conference (independent in football) in 2011-12. There will be just five baseball programs in the MWC in 2011-12. In 2012-13, the Mountain West will become a six team league, with the additions of Fresno State and Nevada and the departure of TCU to the Big East Conference.
Air Force travels to Northern Colorado on Tuesday, April 26, then hosts Utah for four games, April 20-May 1.